1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound card with digital out

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by daninthemix, Feb 24, 2003.

1. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

Can anyone tell me the cheapest, simplest way to get a PCM stream out of my computer, so I can run it into my AV system about 10 metres away?

I don't want a huge soundcard with bells and whistles on (or a front panel for that matter!), I just want one that can send PCM data straight out over coax (or optical since it's quite a distance) for decoding by an AV processor.

Best solution is a card with one digital output and nothing else that costs £10 :D

...but I'll happily accept the closest alternative...

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an SBlive 5.1 sound card which has an SPDIF output socket. You will need a interconnect with a mono-jack plug on it. I would let you have this for £15 plus p+p if you are interested.
    Dave

3. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you're offering a soundcard with digital out for £15 then? Yes I'm definitely interested! Can you PM me an address to send the cheque, and any info on where I can get the 3.5mm jack-to-spdif cable from then?

4. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, but have you ever got it to work? I havent, even with the right cabling!

5. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan,

You're surely not going to put the output from a £15 sound card into your new ?????????? :eek: Oh, the pain, the pain!! :rotfl:

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the TERRATEC Aureon 5.1 Fun
    the cheapest one in the new AUREON range.

Has optical in and out

Seems to work fine so far

7. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve1138 - thanks for the info. I've ordered the Terratec, since Toslink seems more suitable for connecting over 10 meters.

Charlie - the Terratec costs a more reasonable £28. Have I allayed your fears :smashin:

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Over 10m!!!????

The cable will cost you more than the sound card =) I also think you will get signal degredation over that length. IIRC, coax is better over long distances, I could be wrong.

9. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Already ordered the cable - £25 for a 10m optical. Lack of signal degradation over long distances is one of the main reasons optical exists - it's coax that you have to watch over lengthy runs due to greater chance of RFI/interference and also weakening of the electrical signal.

10. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daninthemix
    I take it you do not want the card, no problem just thought I would offer you a cheap option.

Oli
    I have been using this card to supply a signal to my Yam A1 witout any problems.
    Dave

11. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can you explain to me how? I have spent ages tryin to get it to work, never had any luck!