• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sound card recommendation please

nashmills

Established Member
I have a Sony KDL-40W3000 TV on a Sony RHT-G800 stand which outputs 5.1 audio. I have recently ordered a Dell Inspiron 530S pc. I intend replacing the included DVD drive with an LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD player.

I assume I will be able to connect the pc to the stand with a dvi to hdmi cable but I think I will have a problem with the sound. I don't believe the pc has optical out so I will need a separate sound card - either low profile or external. I don't want to spend more than about £50. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

badbob

Banned
Before you buy that drive, what Dell Inspiron 530S CPU did you buy?
As for soundcard, checkout C-Media. Optical out and does the job DD/DTS streaming. About £15.

nashmills

Established Member
Before you buy that drive, what Dell Inspiron 530S CPU did you buy?
As for soundcard, checkout C-Media. Optical out and does the job DD/DTS streaming. About £15.
I've already ordered the drive. The processor is: Inspiron 530s Viiv E6550 Core 2 Duo Processor (2.33GHz, 1333Mhz FSB, 4MB cache). Do you have a model number for the c-media and is it half-height?

stricko

Established Member
Hey Badbob

Why the question about the processor and LG blu-ray drive? Do you have a performance / compatibility concern?

I'm about to go down the same route with a 530s.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom