sound card re sampling?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by (GTV)Chris, Jun 14, 2003.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I own an Audigy player for my HCPC. I have heard that these cards resample the audio.......
    Is this resampling negligable or should I save my pennies and buy a digital card like the M audio or something similar (budget).
    I don't know if it's just my imagination but I always get the feeling that the sound from a DVD stand alone player is better through my amp.....is it just me?

Cheers

Chris

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Audigy series of card and several others resample sound to 48kHz. This can be a bad thing if you are playing CDs as their native sample rate is 44.1kHz. DVDs however are 48kHz to start with so this will not be a problem.

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I use the Winamp SSRC upsampling plug-in to do a HQ resample to 48KHz on my desktop Audigy player machine. It does improve the sound. It also improves it even better on a client's low-spec embedded motherboard sound too!

The m-audio cards support 44.1KHz natively on WinME drivers, and can avoid the kmixer 48KHz on WinXP using ASIO ptorocol and an ASIO winamp output plug-in. A few high-end cards support this too, I don't think it's mainstream.

I don't use 44.1 on my m-audio either, I upsample mp3 24-bit mad plug-in decodings to 96KHz because I like the sound and the 96KHz light on the Denon makes me feel special :)

I still doen't personally believe enyone can really tell uncompressed CD audio from 256Kbps or 320Kbps high-quality lame encoded MP3 rips. I only use 320Kbps for Mozart, and that's just to be sure! All my music if on a 30GB hard disc and I have 200 CD's I'm wondering how they'll survive summers in a box in the loft.

regards,
    Rob.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Lots of people can and have proven it in bind tests. MP3 is quite poor for quality, I only use it if I have no choice.