1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound card processor questions (RME)

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mikearv, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a new card and maybe an amp/receiever.

Is it worth while going for a higher end card like the RME 9632 and using it's analogs outs to my (stereo)amplifier. Using the card as a processor.

or

Spending less on the sound card and buying a nicer AV amp and connecting them via digital SP/DIF?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO on-board SPF/IFs are good enough so I use those and have a Denon 3803 for the sound processing .. not generally considered 'audiophile' quality but it does me. :)

I also find the signal switching capability use with more than just the HTPC in the system.

The one area SPD/IF is useless is if you want to play DVD-A on the PC, there is no way to get digital output due to license restrictions and copyright paranoia, for this you'd need 5.1 analogue connections.

3. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a Rme into a power amps for stereo playback. Quality is great :thumbsup:

The other exciting aspect is to use the expansion board and xlobby for multi zone audio. I now have zones in my living room, kitchen and garden (outdoor speakers from ebay) all controlled using a Simpad PDA.

Not tried 5.1 yet, I believe you need Theatertek 2.

Using a av amp is simpler but you can't beat the challenge of trying to have an all in one solution using a PC.

4. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What power amp do you plug the RME into?... and how does it compare to doing RME > intergrated stereo amp via normal analogue inputs?

5. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Molly, I've made the decision to build my first htpc so I'm currently trawling through the web to find out as much info as possible...I'm slowly getting there, but I'm intrigued by your multi-zone audio set up. Do you need multiple sound cards for each zone or do sound cards now support multiple zones. I will be hooking my htpc up to my plasma and my av amp, but would like the capability to add speakers around the house/garden.

Cheers.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Molly's RME with add on analogue board or my maudio delta 410's support multiple selectable analogue outs.

I have 2 delta 410's in my multiroom xlobby server feeding eight seperate zones controlled via a wvga touchscreen and 3 PPC's.

There may be other cards suitable, the delta 1010 for example but be careful because not all multiple outputs will work in this manner.

7. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its difficult to compare quality of intergrated v power amp without moving all my kit around the house. My set up consists of the following:

Server: twin xeon running xlobby, nebula, theatertek, video editing software, eac for ripping cd's, monkey audio for lossless compression, dvd profiler, dvd shrink (removing menus) etc. RME 9632 soundcard with expansion board running two Roksan power amps (if your server is not powered on continually you may have problems with your speakers popping, options leave powered on, x10 or usb irt to switch the amps on/off) for the garden and kitchen zone and an analog connection to my living room connected to a Onkyo av amp. The kitchen LCD display is connected to the server.

HTPC: AMD running Theatertek and xlobby client connected to the av amp via Spd/if for 5.1.

Simpad controls xlobby via wireless.

Network is both cat5 and wireless.

Next step: Integrate xlobby with Nebula for total control of PVR via the simpad. Sata raid 5 for all my music ape files and ripped dvd's. A new DLP TV display for the living room. Theatertek 2 on HTPC into power amps for 5.1 (remove av amp). Further zones in the bathroom etc. X10 lights etc controlled through Xlobby. Diskless boot system for HTPC to the server (lookup threads by Branxx)

If you do some research on the xlobby forum you will start to understand the software's functions. Once you get the bug you just can't stop expanding!! :devil:

8. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    right behind you molly and just behind johns, my rme does the 5.1 with tt2 and it rocks.

I take it you use the volume slidder in winamp for volume control arround the house with xlobby

Xlobby is so simple to use it is like painting by numbers.

I'm bitten by the bug - especially when you cut out the menus, intros, trailers and credits on ripped dvd's.

rgds

Dave