1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Card Ouput - 48Khz vs 96Khz

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by WSB, Oct 20, 2005.

1. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hey guys- I'm still trying to figure out what sound card to get.

AV = Denon 1906 connected to Canton CD series speakers and sub.

The amp support 96Khz sound processing....I've found a cheap and cheerful sound card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-3375667-7139044

outputs 5.1 digital via TOS link. - (also- whats better- TOS or coax? you'll have to forgive me if thats a stupid question!)

but anyway the card only outputs at a max of 48Khz- does that matter? wont my amp do all the processing? There are more expensive options from Creative that offer a 96Khz digital output if needs be. My needs are simple- a digital output (optical) card that sends the best signal to my amp which my amp then does all the work on and my cantons play a nice crisp sound. The more I look into it the more confusing it all gets(!) :(

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi, this is not one of my best areas, but... I just replaced my onboard sound with a Ceative Live 5.1 USB2 soundcard which is 24bit. I connect to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540r via spdif - and this card allows both toslink and coax (i use coax).

I am not sure how much it really matters (16bit or 24bit) in this set up for HTPC purposes (5.1 sound in films) but I have just discovered that the WMV HD films that come with 6 channel WMA sound, the sound is in 24bit... using AC3 filter, also set to 24bit then enables my amp to detect the sound as dolby digital and send it correctly to all 6 speakers - it sounded amazing!

hope this helps more than confuses
    lisa

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    if you're just passing dolby digital/DTS to your amp then it doesn't matter what features the soundcard has, as long as it can send the DD/DTS stream it'll be fine.

Coax is supposed to be better but I doubt you'll ever hear a difference between the two.

bottom line, if your AV amp is doing the decoding into analogue then a cheap soundcard will be just as good as a more expensive one. the only point in buying a more expensive one would be to output analogue signals.

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    If you're going to be playing music and having the amp do the decoding, try and make sure it has 44.1KHz support. All Creative cards will convert it to 48KHz which introduces distortion. I have a £25 soundcard which is capable of this. Drop me a PM if you're going to be doing this as it's kind of messy what you need to do depending on your soundcard :)