sound card for htpc hd formats

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by philthyanimal, Sep 18, 2007.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built a HTPC for HD, and now i need a soundcard. with 7.1 out
    i've been looking at 3, just wondered if anyone had opinons, or coulld make suggestions.

m-audio delta 10/10
    terratec phase 88
    terrate aureon firewire 7.1

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I assume from your choices that you won't consider an internal card due to concerns about interference?

Personally I would wait a while before you buy as you cannot enjoy HiRes Audio via an HTPC anyway. There is as yet no secure path for the audio so any software developers have to consider AACS. The only universal player that works reasonably well, PowerDVD Ultra, downsamples all HiRes audio to 48hz 16bit.

No doubt this will be resolved soon and Cyberlink will manage to protect the audio and remove the downsampling but right now there is little difference between DD+ and TruHD via PowerDVD, at least I can't hear it :D

There is a long thread about it on the other av forum in the HTPC section if you want more info.

I currently use an X-Fi Fatality which sounds pretty damn good but also hope to upgrade soon. I have been considering internal cards like the Asus Xonar and Auzen Prelude but the Prelude uses Creative's awful software (no EQ etc.) so my mind is still open.

I would love to hear how you get on if you do get an external solution. I have also considered the M-Audio but like you haven't heard much about it.

Adam