Sound Card For Dolby Digital & DTS

Monkey Alan

Novice Member
Are there any low profile sound cards that will send DD and DTS from my HTPC to my amp using optical?

I've been trying to do it with a Xonar DG but then found out its not supported.:facepalm:

It seems even the Xonar DX can't do this either? :lease:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
All sound cards pass through DTS and DD via optical. Basically they do not have to do anything just send the unencoded sound to the AV amp.
What is the source of the material.
DVD's in the DVD drive will again just pass through DTS and DD.
Getting 5.1 from games now that is another problem. They mostly rely on using the multi analogue outs.

Monkey Alan

Novice Member
Its just dvds and blu-rays, I read some post on another forum saying it wasn't possible.
I hope your right though, but I still can't seem to get anything more than 2 speakers from my Xonar DG. I've tried all the setting in the asus software and windows, disabled onboard sound in bios, checked cable. I only get front 2 speakers and the left is much louder than the right. My amp is cambridge 540r, any ideas?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I use a Xonar Essence ST connected to my 540R AV amp and get 5.1 with no problems. Windows 7.

Have you checked the playback software is set for 6 speakers and SPDIF pass through.

Monkey Alan

Novice Member
:hiya:Got it working guys, it was a mixture of probs. First my right speaker had come loose from my amp:blush:. I then reinstalled the card set optical to default in windows and disabled everything else, that got dvds working then changed my blu-ray software to a new version I forgot came bundled with my samsung drive. All pretty much working just a codec problem with mkv's & surround now, think I found a solution to that on shark007 forum though.
Thanks chaps.;)

Monty Burns

To get SPDIF working on Shark, i've found running the Settings program as administrator and clicking the box "AC3 filter SPDIFF" (or similar) does the job for me.

Edit: thats for all stuff including MKV's. You will have to do it in the X64 settings as well if your on a 64bit O/S

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom