1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound... but no picture.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by grahambanes, May 13, 2005.

1. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one of those small 14/15" televisions, manufactured by Bush, which has suddenly started delivering sound but no picture.

I left it on standby one day, then pressed a channel number on my remote to turn the tv back on and onto the channel. Then, there's audio - but no sound. I fiddled with the aerial for a bit and the screen came on, fortunately. However, a few days later, the same problem occurs - but no amount of fiddling with the aerial cable will fix it.

Do I need to face the fact that my television has died, or can something be done to repair it?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Something can certainly be done to repair it, assuming any necessary spare parts are available.

The problem is whether it is economic to repair, given the low purchase price of a replacement these days.

Since it's portable, why not take it in to a local tv repairer and get a quote?

Then you can decide the best course of action, remembering that a new TV will probably have more features and a 12 month guarantee.

Good luck. :)

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    When you say you "fiddled with the aerial for a bit" are you saying the set has an attached "ring" or "loop" aerial (usually sit's in a socket on the back cover)?
    These are notorious for developing internal breaks in the cable where it attaches to the aerial.
    Is the screen completely blank (no raster) or is there "snow" or a blank blue raster?

4. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll do that. But, like you said, given the low price of them these days it may be more economic to get a new one.

It's just an aerial cable that comes out of the wall (sorry I can't be more technical) which then plugs into the telly. I tried the telly this morning with another aerial downstairs, and there's still no picture. The screen is completely blank, it looks as though it hasn't even been turned on.