1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound break through.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bob1, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello ,my mother as a philips tv and dvd player,when she puts a dvd on the tv switches to av1.All fine so far but after a short while you start to notice break through of the sound on the tv under the sound of the dvd.I even tried a channel with no rf signal and you could hear the white nosie comming through, which is strange because thats normally muted anyway.
    Anyone ever had this before and can it be solved, the tv/dvd is not that old.
    Thanks Bob1.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Bob,

I get the same effect, but switching to an "empty" rf channel does the trick.

Have you tried switching to a video input (such as VCR or Digibox) before turning on the DVD player?

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks ,we did get white nosie the last time but i will try that again ,might help if i tune a channel in well away from any station.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, 'Sounds' to me (no pun intended !) that you may have audio crosstalk in your scart lead. This can happen with audio (or indeed video) if the scart lead is of 'poor' quality.

If you haven't tried it already I would very strongly recommend you try a good quality scart interconnect lead. Regards, yt.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The only source connected is the dvd player,the sound we can hear is comming from the tv channels,the scart lead is quite thick so i would think that its well screened.Does the tv output sound from the tv channels while in av mode down the scart lead ?I will try video and audio out leads from the dvd player and see if that gets rid of it.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, yes - even when you are watching an external source the picture and audio from the tellys off-air channel still passes 'down' the scart lead.

Try the following - manually select the external scart input but disconnect the scart lead so that there is no actual input from an external source (your dvd), do you still hear the off air audio ? if not then its almost certain to be crosstalk in the scart lead. Regards, yt.

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks red ,would it be worth removing the wires from the audio out in the scart plug.

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, off home now after work. If you decide it is 'crosstalk' down the scart lead then as I say its worth investing in a good quality scart lead. Cutting the audio leads would be a quick solution but not very professional !!. Regards, yt.

PS.. and cut the right ones - easy to confuse 'ins' with 'outs' !

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Ok thanks for your answers ,i will not get a chance to have another look for a while ,my mother is not the type of person that would worry about the wires in the lead being cut and would not what to spend money on a better lead.