1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound barrier

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Red Baron, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Red Baron

Red Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the JVC 32R250EKS TV with Dolby 3D Phonic (Psuedo surround) and also
    Full Dolby Pro Logic when correct speakers are fitted.
    Our DVD player has three options on sound as well. Dolby 5.1, Psuedo surround & Nicam..
    Question is if I set the TV to 3D Phonic or Pro Logic – what should I set the DVD to output to it ?. Connection by scart.

If I set DVD to 5.1 then it seems very quiet, I think I’m losing the extra channel somewhere. Should I just leave the DVD to Nicam and let the TV process the sound?. No speakers are connected to the DVD.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 5.1 option will only work if either you have connected the DVD player to a dolby digital decoder either via co-ax or optical lead OR if you have connected the DVD player's 5 channel output to a set of speakers (or an amp) which can take a 5.1 channel input.

If you are just connecting it to your TV (with no onboard decoder for digital) via SCART then select a standard stereo option. (I'm a little confused by the NICAM reference as that is a standard used for transmitting stereo sound on terrestrial TV via RF)

So in short... DVD player to normal stereo.. if your TV can handle Dobly Pro Logic then set the sound on the TV to that.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set your DVD player to downmix the DD 5.1 to Dolby Surround.

If your TV is outputting full Dolby Pro Logic or 3D-PHONIC, then setting the DVD player to just downmix to normal stereo will mean that you lose the surround sound effects!!

The Dolby Surround is carried through the Scart and also through L&R phonos (the surround channels are encoded into the existing L & R signals).

This will sound quiet though, simply because that's the way DD 5.1 works (hence the need for an AV receiver). You can "boost" it by setting the "audio DRC" option on your DVD player to "TV mode" or similar (if it has this option). Personally I don't like doing this on my player however, as it causes the volume to be reduced on loud noises in an attempt to maintain a consistent volume level.

If the particular DVD you're watching has a Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround soundtrack as well as a 5.1 soundtrack, then you will find that the volume is louder on the DD2.0 Surround soundtrack than on the downmixed 5.1 soundtrack. So you might prefer to choose the DD2.0 Surround soundtrack instead (when you can).

Hope that helps :)

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Squirrel, I thought it was normal for DPL encoding to be carried in a std. stereo stream so surely setting the DVD player to stereo is the way to go... so no surround effects will be lost as the TV will decode them on receipt.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes DPL is carried in the L&R channels.

But if you set the DVD player to downmix to stereo, then that is all the TV will receive - a stereo signal! The DVD player will have "stripped away" the surround channels! However, if you set the DVD player to downmix to Dolby Surround, then that is what the TV will receive (again, still carried in the L&R channels). :)

The only thing I'm confused about is the options Red Baron has listed for his DVD player "Dolby 5.1, Psuedo surround & Nicam". Nicam isn't output by DVD players.... and Psuedo Surround doesn't sound like a surround downmix option. That's why I think Red Baron needs to look out the Downmix options in his player's menus. It would help if he also told us what make & model his player is :)

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So out of the 3 options above then surely the Stereo option would be the way to go ...I'd be surprised if selecting 5.1 output does anything other than send out the front L & R signals from the DD bitstream, leaving out the centre and rear channels. Certainly, when I set my DVD player to std. stereo no DPL encoding is lost. :)

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rct,

You read my mind by quoting the listed audio options! I deleted my first post and then re-posted an extended reply about a minute before you that includes a comment on the audio options, so you wouldn't have read it until after you posted. :D

I guess it's down to what each manufacturer means by the terms it uses in the menus. Whichever option downmixes to Dolby Surround is the one that he should choose (whatever it is called in the menus). This is why he really needs to tell us what player he is using. :)

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Funny how we are thinking the same thing at diff times isn't it Squirrel!

Red Baron- as Squirrel God said tell us the make and model together with the full range of sound options available to you then I'm sure you'll be sorted. I hope all the above hasn't confused you too much! :D

9. Red Baron

Red Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - thought I'd try to use my sarcastic wit & humor at the same time, but should have been totally technically straight.
    DVD is Samsung 707 it may have something infront or after the 707. Wev'e had it a good three years or so, so its not state of the art.
    DVD options - Dolby 5.1, '3D sound' from stereo speakers, and stereo (Sorry I confused that with Nicam).
    TV as stated in first post. At present I am experimenting with the speakers on the TV, I can't get anything out of the RCA sockets so until I take the plunge and buy some surround speakers, or cut the RCA plugs off my speaker leads and try to send the surround sound through my ageing Hi Fi - any comments ?
    The most noticable time I noticed over the W/E was watching 'Heat' the action was ok, but the speach was quiet.
    I had the DVD set to 5.1 and TV to 3d-phonic, so think the .1 was the speach which was diluted somewhere along the line. I ahve used same set up for other films and sound been good, but quiet overall.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand why there is no Dolby Surround downmix option :confused:

I'm not familiar with the Samsung player unfortunately. I can only presume that if you set it to Dolby 5.1 that it automatically downmixes to Dolby Surround on the phono and Scart outputs.

Try setting it to 5.1 and then to stereo and see if you notice less of a soundstage with stereo. If so, leave it set to 5.1.

No, the .1 is a LFE (low frequency enhancement) channel. Basically, it boosts the low frequencies (mainly bass). As far as I can remember about Dolby downmixing, this channel is lost when it downmixes to Dolby Surround.

Without the additional TV speakers, you should set your TV to 3D-PHONIC as this will simulate the additional surround speakers using only the 3 speakers in your TV (similar to Virtual Dolby).

With regards to it being quiet, etc, please see my earlier posts. This is normal. You can also read about it at www.dolby.com