• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sound Bar Problem

Rodw16

Novice Member
I have recently purchased an SBL sound bar, model Bar studio (30W per channel), in order to improve the poor sound reproduction on my 9 year old Panasonic TV, model TX-L32V10B.

Using an optical digital audio cable between sound bar and TV, my initial reaction was that the sound quality was a vast improvement. However, my enthusiasm has been short lived. Now, I notice that often the sound cuts out during a very quiet passage and then, quite obtrusively, cuts back in again when the passage becomes louder, such as when a person begins speaking or background music starts. This does not happen with programs where really quiet passages are few.

This problem has become really irritating and I wonder whether if it could be due to how the optical digital signal from the TV is processed by the Sound Bar’s electronics. If so, could this be reasonable justification for returning this unit for refund?

However, this is something I’m loath to do because the sound bar’s blue tooth feature works perfectly for both digital radio and music files played from my smart phone.

My TV does not have a HDMI(ARC) port so could the solution be to use the TV’s 2 x RCA analogue audio out ports, connected to the 1 x 3.5mm jack on the Sound Bar using an adaptor cable?

May I have your comments please.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You have nothing to lose by trying the TV's analogue Phono output.
If the sound still cuts out at least you'll know there's a fault in the soundbar.

Rodw16

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. I purchased a suitable cable, 1x 3.5mm to 2x RCA, from Tesco costing £6.00 and there has been no re-occurrence of this irritating problem so the optical digital connection appears to be the issue. However, whilst I now have a setup which works well, I will be making a complaint to JBL Harman and I will await their response with interest. My other concern is that the term HIFI appears to justify high prices charged by manufacturers - I could have spent £30.00 instead of £6.00 on this cable but would there have been any audible improvement?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom