Sound bar or Speakers??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SH4D0WM4NZ, Mar 31, 2016.

1. SH4D0WM4NZ

SH4D0WM4NZ
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Hi All.

i am hoping someone will be able to help me out with some decision making i need to do.

I have recently bought a Samsung UE55 JS8000, was all set for the Pano CX802 but was talked into the Sammy by the chaps in Richer Sounds, and; against their guidance i opted for the Pano SC-ALL70TEB sound bar and wireless sub, i have to say it is very good looking and sound is good.

I also have an old Logitech ZZ5500 that i used in the old house and that was brilliant too!

SO. Question is this, i am rebuilding my conservatory into a sun / garden room, i will be having a TV on the wall in there, do i keep the SC-ALL70TEB in the lounge and add two rear speakers with the main TV and potentially use the ZZ5500 in the new room or should i swap around?

The other option is that i dont use the 5500 atall.

I am just trying to get all the cables ran before i start boarding the room out.

2. SH4D0WM4NZ

SH4D0WM4NZ
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      anyone?

3. gibbsy

gibbsy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,053
      Buy a good 5.1 speaker set up. Will trounce any soundbar for audio enjoyment.

4. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +589
      The Logitech digital speaker system is really meant for tiny rooms or very close field applications, like gaming. The fact you're even considering putting this 5.1 surround sound speaker system in tells me it's worth considering upgrading to a true 5.1 system in your lounge, and possibly moving the Panasonic sound bar into your conservatory.

But there's a couple of other points to pick up on here. Firstly you don't mention the applications you'd like to enjoy in either room, be it audio or video, and the Panasonic ALL products are about multi-room applications. @Steve Withers & @Mark Hodgkinson is this worth getting in for review guys? On the surface it seems as though Panasonic have built an entry level ecosystem with little upgrade potential and limited support for streaming services and audio formats, the spec sheet only showing core surround formats. However at a low cost of entry, this could be a great way to go for those who are budget sensitive but want to enjoy some form of surround sound or multi-room audio.

Secondly is your budget. It's difficult to know what to suggest at all in this situation without having some idea here.

However, I'll put a suggestion forward and assuming for a moment that you do want excellent audio format support, great 5.1 in the lounge, and multi-room, and budget is reasonable but not endless, I'd recommend switching allegiance to Yamaha, and investing in these products:

KEF E-series which would seem a natural full-fat upgrade to the Logitech Digital system you have.
      Yamaha RX-A660, the entry level Aventage receiver but exceptionally well appointed.
      Yamaha YSP-306, the entry level MultiCast enabled sound bar, without the sub to trip over in the conservatory!

Of course this is just a quick suggestion and I always recommend that to go and listen to anything before you buy because it's you, your ears, and your wallet. I'd suggest this would be a huge step-up from what you're enjoying today, but the cost also ramps up significantly. On that latter note, you could just go for another identical sound bar and a pair of ALL2s (which are wireless up to the point of needing a mains supply of course); bringing costs right down and much easier to install, but it's also IMO a fraction of the solution the Yamaha/KEF one is. There's one awkward thing I can't get around here: an alarm clock as a rear speaker!?! Mmm.

One last thing, and it's about ROI (Return On Investment), very subjective in audio applications. There comes a point where perceivable gains are not worth spending increasingly larger amounts of money on, in some respects order-of-magnitude greater, such is the law of diminishing returns. But since the whole sound bar/AVR+speakers debate is quite hot right now, and you're considering a 5.1 installation albeit by adding the ALL2 speakers, it's worthwhile considering where you believe this subjective line is. No-one can tell you. Some attributes have different priorities over others depending on the room and applications desired, but please don't automatically rank cost as No.1; you'll never know what you're missing!

Hopefully this gives you some more ideas...

5. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +338
      If you have the room and finances, then go for a discrete 5.1 (Or more) system as there is no soundbar that can achieve the same results.

If you can’t have discrete speakers, then go for a multi-channel soundbar (Pseudo surround) as while not up to 5.1 is a big improvement over the TV.

Unless you only watch The News and Bargain Hunt (Or similar) then the TV speakers are the worst possible option you can have.

As mentioned, the Logitech’s are designed for near field computer use so get yourself a proper 5.1 system rather than trying to use those or you will end up seriously disappointed.

Hope this helps

Bill

6. bootstrapwill

bootstrapwill

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +137
      Hey Shadow.
      I would also recommend a 5.1 (or more) if you can accomadate the space. Just had a quick search and found these two to give you an idea of a reasonably priced system with fantastic performance.

Richer Sounds
      Richer Sounds

Hope this helps.

7. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,640
      Personally I think the separates offer up far more scope for upgrading and most amps offer more connectivity too. If, in the future, you want a better sound, you may well be able to just upgrade the speakers or maybe just replace the Amp.

You can also start off relatively small - like buying a decent 5.1 separates with an Amp that can offer say Atmos for example and then at a later date, add in some up-firing speakers or go the whole hog and put in some ceiling speakers. Point is, the separates allow you to build up as you can afford. A Soundbar, no matter how good it is, is still more limited. I also think they are far less 'discreet' and I don't think they offer the 'width' either. To really make the most of the audio, you really need some rear speakers and of course a sub too.

Soundbars rarely have more than 2 HDMI Inputs at most which can be limiting to the number of devices you can connect unless you are 'happy' to send Audio through the TV via ARC. The only Soundbar I would probably consider is the Samsung HWK950 but that has limited connectivity, quite expensive at £1300 but does come with the Sub and two (wireless - although need to have a power supply) rear speakers. Considering what that can buy in 'separates' - I would rather spend my money on those instead knowing I can upgrade parts as and when its needed.

Each to their own of course but I think the 'separates' are much more versatile, more discreet, better audio which can be perfectly positioned to give the width etc and to a degree - future proof too. I know you may need to replace the Amp later on down the line but you may not 'need' to replace the speakers.

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +286
      I've recently gone back to separates, albeit on a budget.
      Onkyo slimline TX-L50 receiver and Tannoy HTS101XP 5.1 speaker system (as highlighted above).
      Very discrete (read wife friendly) and knocks spots off my previous soundbar.
      The speaker system is fantastic for the price.

9. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +30
      Go for a 5.1 setup ,it's miles better than a sound bar .

10. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +589
      @SH4D0WM4NZ Your thread has been featured on the home page and you have many responses. Would you care to reply?