Sound bar headache

doopeydoo123

Novice Member
Hi All

Having a real headache with a SC-HTB680 sound bar connected via arc (hdmi2) to a recently purchased Panasonic TX-65FX560B tv...

The problem is when switching tv on the sound bar powers up fine & displays ‘TV’ in its little display but no sound...

The volume control numbers display when using tv remote but to get sound to I’m having to switch the sound bar & or tv off & back on again for sound to ‘connect’...

The problem initially started at random with our previous panny tv an older plasma UT50 but only exhibited the above behaviour after 18 months of initial install of the sound bar...

After search in forums etc I have tried the following some of which numerous times:

Disconnected all leads & power

Replaced hdmi cables both initial set & current set high speed cables

Factory reset both tv & sound bar

Checked tv speaker output is set to amplifier

CEC set to on

At best it will behave for a day or so but as sure as eggs are eggs after a day or so switch on tv when home from work no sound from sound bar...

Now thing I’ve recently noticed is that the tv has zero Viera link options, however the sound bar VL is switched on...

The manual for SB says switching VL of disables arc which defeats the object entirely...

There is also no mention in the TV manual of VL...

Our old plasma did however have VL options.

So I’m beginning to think that the sound bar is not compatible with what appears to be a non VL TV ?

I’m on the verge of giving up with the sound bar tbh, currently just put TV back to its own speakers as at least its reliable if not ideal...

So is it a hardware fault or compatibility issue ?

I have also checked for Firmware updates for tv & is currently up to date...

Can’t seem to find a way to check or update firmware for sound bar though..

I really don’t want to go with optical as this would mean having to manually switch on the sound bar & adjust vol using its dedicated remote instead of the convenience of having all on one remote...

I’m reasonably sure the SB has developed an internal fault so am toying with buying/upgrading to another but not sure which is fully compatible with my current TV...

As ever any advice appreciated...

Except launching the SB up the garden as I’m currently considering lol...

What sound bar would you recommend I upgrade to ?

Just to give you an idea of my set up...

Virgin media box connected to hdmi 1 (Enhanced/4K enabled)

Sound bar to hdmi 2 (arc) Regular enabled as sb does not have 4K pass through

PS4 to hdmi 3 Enhanced/4K enabled..

Hoping there’s enough info in my post for someone out there to help...

KR

Ed

outoftheknow

The TV manual should mention if it has ARC or not and the HDMI port will be marked as capable. VL is Panasonic’s name for HDMI CEC. Usually ARC needs a part of CEC to be switched on at the TV end. Many TVs have on or off for the lot though.

anyway your TV supports it all and Panasonic have dropped VL as a name it seems. Page 15 of the manual

Has all you need for ARC and controlling the volume. Note the TV sound is seemingly not switched off when using ARC (HDMI2 on TV only). Strangely you need to lower the TV volume which suggests the TV remote no longer can control volume to me......

doopeydoo123

Novice Member
Many thanks for your prompt reply...
Believe me i’ve read the excerpt you kindly refer to many times, it also states that when system audio control set to amplifier tv speakers are muted, both tv or Virgin remotes control volume in that the numbers on the SB change & the tv graphic also appears with same volume no, although the tv graphic is delayed when using Sb the Volume values match, just no sound when taking tv out of standby...Therfore suspect hardware issue with Sb at this point, maybe look for another Sb during sale time maybe a Bose, Denon ? Any thoughts ?

keithwiggins

Have you tried turning cec off? that sometimes does the trick although of course you will loose some functionality.

outoftheknow

Try enabling ARC, muting the TV sound and selecting the ARC HDMI to control the volume - the paragraph above the bit you are doing with speakers set to amplifier.

doopeydoo123

Novice Member
Hi all
Ok so if my understanding is correct
Turn tv speaker volume to zero (& or mute)
Check arc enabled (pretty sure it is)
Check cec enabled (again pretty sure is on anyway)
Only after doing above change tv sound setting to amplifier which should enable the use of tv remote for SB...

Maybe there is something in setting tv sound to zero before carrying out the above, although seems a rather strange way of setting it up.

Either way I’ll give it another go at the weekend & report back...
Just wanted to check I’ve understood the correct procedure....

Many thanks I really do appreciate your support with this...

KR

Ed

outoftheknow

I think you missed a bit. It says you need to select the HDMI port you want to control volume on. I don’t know why either but make sure you follow all the steps. It may mean to control the volume of device connected to another TV input - hard to tell with Samsung.

“When ARC is active, the TV does not mute its other audio outputs automatically. You will need to decrease TV volume to zero manually if you wish to hear the ARC audio only (same as optical or co-axial digital audio outputs). If you want to change connected device’s volume level, you should select that device from the source list. In that case volume control keys are directed to connected audio device.
Note: ARC is supported only via the HDMI2 input”

doopeydoo123

Novice Member
Yes I think I’m experiencing a ‘can’t see wood for tress’ moment at this time, although the manual is so poorly written it’s also open to misinterpretation...
Both sound bar & tv volume markers seemed to match up when i can get it connect though...I’m really unsure of the physical steps at this point. The ‘device’ list just lists sound bar as audio equipment when selected I just get a blank screen...
I’ll have another tinker with it this coming weekend noting all that’s been kindly advised thus far...
I guess what I’m looking for is the actual steps in more easy to understand terms...
Thanks again for sticking with me on this...

outoftheknow

Well ARC doesn’t appear in the tables for the settings menus. It talks about when ARC is enabled so it must be in the source menu for HDMI2 you would think. Or enabled by the speaker setting being set to amplifier. Or enabled on the soundbar maybe tells the TV to do it’s thing....

personally I would plug only the soundbar to HDMI2. Do what is needed to enable ARC etc on the soundbar. In the TV menu go to the source menu and see if ARC is an option on HDMI2 or only enhanced etc. make sure it isn’t set to disabled.

Make sure CEC is on - auto power you can choose on or off but maybe start with on.

If ARC is somehow enabled now yoh need to mute the TV speakers and select the device on HDMI2. Whatever that means :)

mid not go tk speaker setting and put it to amplifier. That may be the ARC enabling setting. Now the speakers mute and it should work.

Also make sure the digital audio setting makes sense. That selects what is sent via ARC and optical.

There isn’t much else as far as I can see. The settings tables are all you have to play with and I would look through those and give it a go without reading the Panasonic English later :)

doopeydoo123

Novice Member
Hi All
Well I’ve tried all of above, muting tv speakers & then setting tv to amplifier seemed to work but alas only for couple of days & wife switched on tv this afternoon sound bar briefly produced sound then a slight pop & nothing, same behaviour as before...
Oh well can only suspect fault with soundbar...
Many thanks for all of your input anyway, will look for a replacement as & when time & funds allow & start a fresh with this one...

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom