Sound Bar Connections and Operation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Andrewstokes, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Andrewstokes

Andrewstokes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought an LG Plasma with two optical ouputs (coax and optical) and wish to connect a subwoofer or soundbar. The TV does not have a headphone scoket!

My previous TV was a Toshiba LCD which had a dedicated subwoofer pre-out terminal, connected to which was a Toshiba Subwoofer. Unless I am mistaken I cannot use that subwoofer anymore withe the connections i have, unless I buy and use a seperate amp?

I have had surround sound systems before and the one gripe I've always had is that I've needed a seperate remote to control the surround sound amp/receiver. Hence my previuous choice of the Toshiba TV/Sub set up.

My main viewing source is a Humax PVR HD Freeview recorder and Sony Blue-Ray, both connected by HDMI.

My question really is this. I want to try an replicate my old set up, using the Toshiba sub if possible, all controllabkle by the TV volume. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could achieve this?

If I am looking at a soundbar of some sort, I need one that can take optical inputs. With this being the case, and it via optical outputs, will the existing TV remote be able to control its volume? (I already have the ability to adjust the volume via the Humax and the TV, I don't want another source of volume control). Oh and by the way I've tried these programmable/universal remotes beore that allow you to control various sources at the same time, which whilst I might be able to manage (just:laugh:), my family cannot, so that's out of the eqaution too I am afraid.

Any help would be much appreciated. :lease: