Sound and Vision Online - A word of advice to potential customers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the_pauley, Jul 28, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Anyone considering dealing with Sound and Vision Online, on the basis of their lowest price guarantee, could do with taking that particular claim with a large grain of salt and do some shopping around.

To quote from their website:

"Our pricing policy is to ensure our customer gets the best deal around. We constantly price check against other competitors making sure we are the lowest."

I contacted S&V today as I was interested in buying a Pioneer DVR-530H-S DVD Recorder. S&V advertise it at £339.95. I informed the sales person that LX Direct was offering the product at £299.99. The salesman asked me was there a delivery charge? I replied I didn't know but I would check. He replied that they (S&V) were "...very up to speed on these things sir."

Obviously not that up to speed. Delivery charge from LX Direct is £3.50, making a grand total of £303.49. So back on to S&V and spoke to the same salesman. Informed him of the price.

S&V: "That's a very good price sir."

Me: "Can you match it?"

S&V: "No sir - no intention of even trying."

Blunt - to say the least!

Noticed the above pricing policy on the S&V website and called back. This time spoke to someone called Rowan who was a lot less "abrupt", shall we say, than the last person. Explained the situation and previous conversations to him and asked how he reconciled the pricing policy with the refusal to price match. He said he would have to check with his MD and would ring me back.

In less than five minutes he called back and said that his MD had been "chasing this up" with Pioneer just now (presumably as a reult of my earlier call) and that LX Direct was making a loss on the product as they were selling it at the wrong price. I pointed out that I was a member of this forum where numerous people had been buying the product at this price since the beginning of July. He then stated that because LX Direct was advertising it at that price they had to honour all of the orders taken, but that it was listed as out of stock on their website and probably wouldn't be available from them again at that price.

I said I'd check with LX Direct and get back to him.

LX Direct assured me that the price was indeed correct and that they were most certainly not selling the product at a loss. Furthermore they pointed out, that if I looked on the same webpage, most of the items were listed as "Out of Stock" because of their high turnover due to their highly competitive prices. The person I spoke to was also none too pleased to hear what S&V had been saying.

They assured me that if I left my e-mail address with them they would inform me when the item came back in stock, and that it would be at the advertised price of £299.99.

Called S&V to speak to Rowan who I was informed was on another call. I was assured that he would ring me back when he had finished.

Still waiting... :(

Incidentally "...they're selling it at a loss..." is exactly what The Sony Shop in Bolton said about Sound & Vision when I recently asked them if they could price match a product. Go figure... :)

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately this is the usual story of prices for out-of-stock items being completely meaningless. Why do you expect anyone to price-match down to something which is not available?

Maybe when Sound & Vision haven't any in stock, their price is £299 as well.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The point is, that if you read other threads on here on this particular machine, the item has been in and out of stock repeatedly at LX Direct and quite a few forum members have been able to buy it quite easily at £299.99 each time it comes back in stock.

So no - it isn't a case of "...the usual story of prices for out-of-stock items..."

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I thought your point was that one retailer wouldn't price match an item which was out of stock elsewhere. No-one's saying you can't buy from LX Direct if units come in and the price remains the same, but 'out-of-stock' prices are completely meaningless in the context of bargaining with someone who has them in.

It's a simple law of economics - when the supply gets restricted relative to demand, you'll find the price you have to pay goes up.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not when the someone you are bargaining with advertises a pricing policy that guarantees you the lowest price in the UK. No caveat as to whether the item is in stock or not, just the lowest price.

Also, if you read the first post carefully, you will see that Sound & Vision refused to price match before it was known that the item was out of stock.

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm afraid they were probably more up to speed than you thought.

Any other price-matching policy I have read stipulates that the item you are seeking a price match on must have them in stock, usually be within an XX-mile radius etc etc.

7. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Other pricing policies you have read are not relevant to the one in discussion.
    If company A is taking orders/money for the kit irrespective of stick levels then a price has been 'struck'.
    If company B fials to live up to their own price promise then complain and don't use 'em again.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes. What he said. :)
    However, we are talking about one price matching policy -Sound & Vision's- not any other. Doesn't stipulate that the item must be in stock, doesn't state within a certain radius. Is plain and unambiguous.

No need to bring other price matching policies into this - totally irrelevant. OK?

What is it? Do you work for these people or something? :rolleyes:

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd avoid them on the basis that they lost my Pansonic PD30 whilst being "assessed for repair," and only when I got the BBC involved coughed up.

For 3 months I had no communication from them regarding where or what my TV was up to.