1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound - and how to get it

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by theredstar, Jan 24, 2005.

1. theredstar

theredstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, apologies for my complete ineptitude with this subject - I have no knowledge of 5.1 sound, amps or receivers.

Right, I've decided to get a plasma and am considering the NEC or a Panny. Like a few others I'm awaiting Hornydragon's report with interest. I've sorted out how to connect all my stuff to the screens for picture, but the whole audio thing is throwing me.

I need to connect a Panny DMR E55, a Humax Freeview box, an X-Box (chipped), Gamecube (US - so no Scart), and a PS2. Oh, and another DVD/DivX player :D

The plan so far. Connect the Freeview to the Panny via scart, and the Panny to the screen by component. If I choose the NEC then that's got a second component input, so either the 'Cube or the box go via that. All the other stuff goes via a scart switch box, like the Joytech or Quinro one. If I choose the Panny I'll have to put more stuff through scart.

I've ruled out Panny/NEC speakers (after reading comments by MAW that they look like elephant ears). After reading the beginners thread, I think I need some sort of receiver/amp (what's the difference?); for example the Pioneer C402 that's recommended in that thread, and then seperate speakers like the Cantons.

So:

1. Will the Pioneer take all the audio inputs I need? Most of the stuff I'm connecting has digital audio out, and supports 5.1.

2. If not, can anyone recommend a decent (and cheapish- no £1000 kit please) receiver/amp that will do a job?

3. Do amps/receivers auto switch or do I manually select the input.? How does it all work?

4. If I'm running my Humax through the Scart to the Panny DMRe55, will the audio lead from the Panny carry through the Humax signal?

5. Is there a really easy guide for setting up all this type of stuff.?

Finally,

I've got wooden floors, and to minimise the risk of tripping and/or death, can anyone recommend a decent set of speakers with wireless rears. I saw some quite nice Sony one, but the receiver they came with didn't look to be anywhere big enough to take all the inputs I need.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All wireless speakers are total cack, I'm afraid. You'll be needing flat speaker cable and a pallet knife to poke it under the skirting boards, or something like that. The 402 or 502 pioneers work very well as R/C scart switches, the easy guide to setup is here, usually that nice Mr Dragon. There's a lot of people here owe him a lot of beer. He spends a lot of time helping peole out.