1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound advice...

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by PFM, Sep 28, 2003.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm looking for a sound card that will allow me to output a digital coaxial signal to my Tag AVR32 that will allow it to decode PCM, 5.1, (and or even DTS etc)

Im a bit confused with regard the signalling formats (spdif etc)

any one got any reccomendations?:smashin:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I use a Soundblaster 4.1 and that can output DD/DTS EX/ES/Discrete etc via spdif. In fact, I only have the spdif conneected, and all sounds are routed via that. My amp is a Denon 3802 and that works very well with it.

You also need a 3.5mm jack to phono converter which you can get from Maplins for around £1.50, and the SB 4.1 can be had quite cheaply (£12.65):

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43053

HTH

Gary.

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Gary, would the 5.1 card be better, if for example I wanted to watch DVDs via the PC.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest an M-Audio with a Tag receiver. Don't want to be seen "skimping" on a cheap soundcard now do you ;)

AFAIK, the M-Audio (& most soundcards for that matter) have a separate SPDIF output so the "regular" analogue outputs can be permanently connected to PC speaker package etc.. (although SPDIF output may need to be deactivated in software).

:smoke: