1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound advice & help pleeeease?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by cliocarl, Dec 2, 2004.

1. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey guys,

I have decided to go down the path of using my PC for playing my DVD's and movies etc after just ordering a 6600GT (XFX) I thought I could utilise the dual DVI output and output a quality picture to my Hitachi TX100.

Very good...

However!

Now I am stuck for what to do with the sound issue. My mobo has the basic sound features, however I am on the verge of buying an Audigy 2 ZS or a like, but thought I would ask you guys for advice first.

Basically, I am hesitant in buying as do the 5.1 Surround Sound effects really work when playing from a DVD drive? The reason I ask is when I built the pc (amature) I hooked up the audio lead from DVD drive to the MOBO and it looks like its just stereo....

So how does the surround sound trick work/processed? or THX for example?

All help and advice appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    When playing a DVD the audio tracks are extracted from the encoded MPEG stream by the DVD decoder. What happens then depends on how you cofigure the player, you can either keep the AC3 stream (eg. Dolby 5.1 or DTS) encoded and send it via an SPD/IF digital connection to an external decoder/amp, or the DVD player software can decode it into 5.1 .. all DVD players can handle Dolby, most provide for DTS as an add-on.

You don't use the audio outputs of the DVD drive at all.

So, whether you need a 'decent' soundcard or make use of any on-board SPD/IF depends on you external equipment in the main, or whether you want to have all audio processing handled by the PC.

3. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that reply

I think my remaining budget is only gonna allow me a decent graphics card and maybe something like the Creative I-treague speaker set rather than external amp and speakers. Besides I like the smallness of pc style speakers and I think I would prefer the processing to be done by the PC.

What card & speakers would you recommend?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can't really offer a suggestion, I use digital output using the on-board audio chip .. some HTPC owners don't like mobo-based sound even for digital output, I'm quite happy with it.

That said, it seems to me that the M-Audio cards seem quite popular in HTPC systems and I think I'd consider one of those if I were to decide to move away from the on-board system.