Sound Advice – Source equipment and using what you have

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ed Selley, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,748
    2. mfactor1

mfactor1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Re computer...... Cables to HiFi ? ...... Maybe 5+ years ago but its 2016 with wireless devices commonplace , from cheap devices such as the Chromecast (I have 4 :thumbsup: 2 tv 2 audio) up to much more expensive systems..

For £30 when they were on offer I have a great multiroom setup using chromecast audio which can be used with my laptop , phone or tablet.......:)

3. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,456
      Some of us prefer the old fashioned method, and I for one I'm very interested. How does the USB method work between receiver and pc (would never even think of using a 3.5 mm jack) what cable/software do you need?

4. John R Leddy

John R Leddy
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Agreed, wireless not utilised at all in this house. Not that I think there's anything wrong with wireless communication, I just don't take it seriously when dealing with my stereo.

The USB connectors fitted to the front and rear of your Marantz AV8802A are for USB storage devices only, flash drives, expansion drives, that sort of thing, and are not suitable for direct connection to your PC in order to stream music.

To play music through your main system via media player software on your PC would require a USB DAC with RCA or XLR analogue outputs to match the inputs you wish to use on your receiver:

PC media player software > PC USB connector > 1 x USB cable > USB DAC input | USB DAC analogue outputs > 2 x RCA or XLR cables > AV8802A single-ended or balanced analogue inputs

Devices like CD players, network audio players, pre-amplifiers, and integrated amplifiers may include a DAC with external accessibility via interfaces like AES/EBU, USB, and S/PDIF. Your AV8802A accommodates RCA and TOSLINK S/PDIF digital inputs.

The article isn't addressing possibilities you would realistically consider applying to a system of the calibre you currently own. Effectively, you're way past utilising the interfaces mentioned in the article.

With a NAS as a centralised source for your audio files your main system may contain a network audio player, whilst your PC would utilise media player software monitoring a chosen directory on the NAS. I have foobar2000 monitoring the \\mybooklive\public\Shared Music\FLAC\ directory on my WD NAS.

It could be considered sacrilege to connect a PC to the front of your current system.