Sound adapter for headset

GuitarGuy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a pair of senhiser pc360's right, so I've also looked and found a decent pc sound card. Now how do I hook it up to my ps3, both headset and mic, and is it possible to use dolby headphone for virtual 3d? Also is there any way to plug the in and out of the pc card and the ps3 mixer into a switch box so I can press a button and it changes over. Any help would be appreciated. Ps I really don't wanna break the bank here ive not got much left over after buying these parts.

Anyone?

You got a PC sound card for a PS3 even if you do get it set up it will need drivers which you can't get on the PS3

Foster said:
You got a PC sound card for a PS3 even if you do get it set up it will need drivers which you can't get on the PS3

You've misunderstood me. I meant I've got a sound card for my pc. Now I need a device for my ps3 to connect the pc360's.

Pointless, and a waste of time and money.
Problems from the start, will the PC card decode the audio(to give 5.1), will you get anything other than stereo, will the pc soundcard, do a better job than a cheap £2 usb sound card connected to the PS3's usb, with mic and audio connections, which sounds crap, and performs just as badly.

If you google this kind of thing, you will see people have issues with it, and not a lot bother, TBH

To be blunt, you would be better off buying an amp/speakers, or surround system, or a mixamp/DSS and a set of cans, rather than bother with this.

Last edited:
Is the headset just 2 x 3.5mm jacks 1 for audio 1 for the mic

Foster said:
Is the headset just 2 x 3.5mm jacks 1 for audio 1 for the mic

Yes it is. And the soundcard is a xonar Essenes st, extremely high quality sound card. I just want something cheap for my ps3 as well.

You can buy like £3 USB sound cards where you plug the mic jack into the USB and the AUDIO into the TV :p

Foster said:
You can buy like £3 USB sound cards where you plug the mic jack into the USB and the AUDIO into the TV :p

Ok a bit more than that :L something where both plug in together would be nice, volume controls are on the headset so not essential.

There isn't anything else on the market :p

Foster said:
There isn't anything else on the market :p

You're joking right....? :eek:

Nope only option really if you are using a PC headset for a console :p other than only other way is getting a headset made for the console like the turtle beaches :p

Foster said:
Nope only option really if you are using a PC headset for a console :p other than only other way is getting a headset made for the console like the turtle beaches :p

But that would mean compromising sound quality massively :( isn't there some kind of amp or something..... I don't mind spending up to maybe 40/50 quid?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
paulst10 said:
They are £100 mate :(

You could look into the DSS unit as they are £40 but you need confirmation that you can connect the mic for use on a PS3.. I don't think it can do this but I have never tried it (something I forgot to do when I borrowed one for a few hours) :suicide:

Turtle Beach DSS 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound Processor | eBay

For 40 quid that would be perfect if it works with the mic, anyone know if it does?

EDIT: I could potentially leave my headphones plugged into that and use an optical switch between the ps3 and the pc as both the ps3 and my xonar essence st card have optical out so it would work just fine. Assuming there is some kind of device which does the whole switching thing? As for mic, I can live without for the ps3 and can just plug it into the pc, or split it to the pc and a separate cheap little USB adaptor for the mic only?

Second edit: on second thought sod it, I'll spring for the mix amp. But how does it get sound? Then how does it give the mic audio back? Would I have to get a USB switcher and an optical switcher?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
mixamp is optical for audio and usb for the mic.

For £100 you could pick up another surround processor and headphones...mixamp is way overpriced, IMO.

Same connections too, optical for audio, usb for mic.

And the Turtle Beach, and £2 usb cards sound like ****.

RottenFox said:
For £100 you could pick up another surround processor and headphones...mixamp is way overpriced, IMO.

Same connections too, optical for audio, usb for mic.

And the Turtle Beach, and £2 usb cards sound like ****.

Could you reccommend? I'm after simplicity more than anything, Id rather just save up and keep it easy and sounding good. Was looking at the 5.8 and not fussed about battery because it'd be on my desk anyway.

Not really interested in the headset to be honest with you, might well just splash out on the mix amp.

Personally I would keep the Sennheisers and add a Mixamp but it's up to you :smashin:

Shame no-one can confirm the DSS will accept pc headphones as that'd be the cheaper option

paulst10 said:
Personally I would keep the Sennheisers and add a Mixamp but it's up to you :smashin:

Shame no-one can confirm the DSS will accept pc headphones as that'd be the cheaper option

Yeah, I'll prepare to grab the mix amp but wait as long as possible to see if the dss can be confirmed to work.

Yeah, I'll prepare to grab the mix amp but wait as long as possible to see if the dss can be confirmed to work.

If you can wait until the weekend, I will grab my brothers DSS and try it using the Y splitter I got with the Mixamp to see if my headset works with mic :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom