Sound absorbing blinds

Trying to snow

Established Member
Reaction score
My room has no slap echo, until I pull my old ikea blackout blind (hard shiny surface) more than half way down. Is there any blinds which can absorb the high frequencies?

A quick google search provided this:

Acoustics at Work - Blinds

But that is business orientated.

Can anyone help me find a sound absorbing blackout blind? B&Q do a soft suede style black out blind, will this help?

the acoustic blinds work because they allow some airflow through them. If you use black out blinds then im not sure that they will give any useful higher range absorbtion due to them being designed to not allow light through. You could buy some suitable fabric and make your own blind, DIY blind kits are available I think?

My own Guess would be that the problem lies with the Blinds which by their very nature are Hard and Reflective.

What you need are Curtains made of Cloth which will absorb sound and, if of the Blackout Kind, block out Light.

When I had my house extended my Builder spoke of the Joys of Blinds .." Everyone Has Them These Days " I looked about my neighborhood and, sure enough, Everyone DID NOT have them ..my Builder was a bit surprised ...I'd LOOKED ?

What it amounts too is that if you have Curtains then they ARE Heavy and thus require that someone or other fit batons in the plasterwork and so on ..thus .. ' NO I am paying and so ...
' to my builder who was trying to save me money ...and Blinds were/are all the rage.

It depends on your house but if you want to condition that reflective sound over the windows then you have to think of the consequences .. and it can make quite a difference, as in my front rooms Bay Windows ... no Curtains - whilst Curtains are replaced with the aid of the Lady Next Door - Hollow Sepulchral Sound ..With New Heavy Curtains ? Reduced and almost eliminated Echo and Re-verb.

Easy Really.

I have very heavy curtains - but I wanted to have my cake and eat it to - I want to tame the echo with the curtains not pulled.

I think I'll try a few cheap blackout blinds with different material, and if they don't work then make my own.

I'm not sure I believe that you can't buy or make a blackout blind that can't tame high frequencies - it's just the backing that has to be hard and reflective. The window behind the blind is also a hard surface but this has no echo. I've got lot's of spare Alcantara fabric about from doing some DIY acoustic treatments, but with the foam backing it's too thick, too thin without it.

I have very heavy curtains - but I wanted to have my cake and eat it to - I want to tame the echo with the curtains not pulled.

I think I'll try a few cheap blackout blinds with different material, and if they don't work then make my own.

I'm not sure I believe that you can't buy or make a blackout blind that can't tame high frequencies - it's just the backing that has to be hard and reflective. The window behind the blind is also a hard surface but this has no echo. I've got lot's of spare Alcantara fabric about from doing some DIY acoustic treatments, but with the foam backing it's too thick, too thin without it.

where did you get the fabric from?

the reason the acoustic blinds work is because the materials they use allow some gasflow, this means that some sound can pass through the screen, some is absorbed through viscous losses as it passes through, some is prevented from coming back when it reflects from the window. Net gain is absorbtion.

You can buy the material that make the blinds, I have some in my office, the question is though, will it stop enough light coming through?

Blackout blinds are usually thick material that prevent light getting through, what you may have to do if you want to have blinds only and not curtains, is to use 2 blinds, a blackout blind and an absorbing blind..

When i get to work I'll see what materials ive got and see if any of them would be any good, ive only got a4 sized samples but i can at least let you know where you can get it.:smashin:

couple of the fabrics here might be suitable, ill dig the name of the rep out for you if you'd like

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom