Sound absorbers

mw3cdj

Standard Member
Reaction score
Yo

I'll be gettng some hopefully at the WE.
I've bought a similar product, it just hasnt got the brand name.
Its a mass density vinyl - same stuff 1lb per foot

John

Hi John,
Where did you order the stuff from ?? Is there a web site ??
Can you let me know the results?? I need to do something the sound in my room seems to be over- bright at high volumes, and from what iv'e read this sort of suff would help.
Any one else??
Regards,
Daran.

Custom Audio designs seem to be one of the biggest names in UK and their website here is a huge resource of all things connected with room acoustics.

Hi Ian ,
Thanks for the link :smashin: . Some good info there. Looks like i'm going to spend some more cash :rotfl:
Regards,
Daran.
Anyone else using some form of treatment ??

I swear by 2" Studiofoam! You've probably seen my ramblings on the subject elsewhere, but IMHO you really can't go wrong with this stuff. I'm sure there're other effective products out there including plenty of DIY solutions, but for instant night and day improvments I can't recommend Auralex enough.

Hi Godfather,
Thanks for your input, and yes i have seen your ramblings elswhere;) .
I've been looking at studiofoam now for a while now but haven't been convinced about the claims made by some people. So just placed my order for a box of 2" studio foam and i can then make my own mind up. Must be good stuff , i mean all the top recording studios use it :D .
Ill post my results after iv'e coverd my walls :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyone going to the Bristol show should look in at Activ Distribution's room as they have just taken over the distribution of Echo Busters Acoustic Room Treatments.

This stuff seems to have received excellent reviews including the claim that

I found Echo Busters to be one of the least visually offensive room treatments I've encountered. They looked far better than the Sonex panels they replaced, and even my wife, who wasn't too thrilled when the Sonex went up in our listening room, gave the Echo Busters the aesthetic thumbs up.

The website is at http://www.echobusters.com/page14.html

Don't know how much this usualy costs but somone on ebay is selling a full kit of this stuff link

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yo

I've got the stuff bck and will try a mini experiment later. I'll post as soon as I know. But having seen the thinness I'm sceptical.

John

Have you done it yet?

I'm doing it , I'm doing it :D . I only have a few hours in the night to experiment with placement and most of the panel's are supported by bits of wood at the moment, but I'll tel you what the difference in sound is phe·nom·e·nal . There is no harshness yet the sound is brighter , separation is more defined , higher levels of detail , tighter more controlled sound all together . If all that's not enough i can now wind the volume up to silly levels an things still sound clear, tight, accurate . If anyone is looking for an upgrade then i can't recommend this stuff enough. Problem is now that I've tryed the studiofoam I'm looking at the other products that Auralex do ( SPEND SPEND) . By the way if any one is looking for a quick fix try these http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp This product opend up my eyes to what Auralex could to for me .
Regards,
Daran.

I told you it's good :D

Make sure you get some LENRDs for the corners - they're very effective at dealing with the lower frequencies that the Studiofoam can't reach.

Yo

Ok I havent put the stuff down yet, buy tried rolling it out then banging on it, the effect in the room is quieter, less harshness echo, but no difference in room below, however, its not meant to stop impact noise, only airbourne. As its only on a piece of carpet it wont stop it anyway.

I've decided as carpet has to come up anyway, I'm going to add a layer of fibreboard, stuff they use under laminate flooring, to give me some impact noise protection.

Hopefully all done mid next week, but trying to find a reasonable quote from a carpet fitter.
One of them said Acoustilay is the stuff to use but very very expensive.

John

Ok,
Things are kind of getting addictive here , just ordered a box of LENRD'S http://www.auralex.com/bass_traps_lenrd/bass_traps_lenrd.asp .
Godfather, where do you advise positioning the LENRD'S, high up in the corners or lower down, i think there is 8 in a box so i take it 2 per corner??
Regard's
Daran.
Just realized, I'll have to do all that calibrating thing again with the BFD :suicide:

Definitely high up in the corners because that's where the bass builds up the most. If you have 4 completely unobstructed corners, this is what I'd do: for each corner, place a LENRD right up in the corner where the 2 walls + ceiling meet. Then leave a gap of 3 or 4 inches below and place another LERND in the vertical corner. If your ceiling is about 8' then this arrangement should mean the LENRDs will just about extend down to ear level. This has numerous acoustical benefits which I'm not qualified enough to explain. This arrangement should give you the most 'bang for your buck'.

Alternatively, you could try 3 LENRDs in each of the front corners and 1 each at the rear. This will work well too. Better still, buy another box and place 3 in each vertical corners and put the rest in the horizontal corners where the sidewall meets the ceiling.

Thanks Godfather :smashin:
All noted, I think I'll try 2 per corner at first and then if needed I'll get another box and go 3 down per corner and 1 each side in the horizontal corners at the front. Do you use a BFD and if so did you notice much of a difference in your graph after you'd finished the Auralex treatment (If you've finished :laugh: )
Regards,
Daran

I do use a BFD but after I installed the Auralex treatment I also moved the sub to a different location, so I can't say whether it made a difference to the graph. I still have a huge peak at 32" which is unavoidable in my 16' long room. But since LENRDs only work down to around 80Hz, I doubt they would make much of a difference below that frequency. But trust me, you will definitely HEAR a difference!

What are your room dimensions by the way?

It's not a very large room only about 10ft 6 by 14ft 4.
Are you all done with absorption now or have you some more tweaks to do ;) . Have you thought about diffusion , been reading up on this but placement is critical apparently .
Regards,
Daran.

Sorry I kinda forgot about this thread! I'm done with absorption for now and have fitted 8 Metrofusors in the centre of the ceiling - again they do exactly what it says on the tin, making the room 'sound' bigger and a bit more spacious. The improvements isn't as drastic as adding the studiofoam or LENRDs, but it's definitely worthwhile. Another big thumbs up from me.

Where in the UK can I buy the Auralex 2" Studiofoam??

Cheers fellas.

Where in the UK can I buy the Auralex 2" Studiofoam

Got my lot from HERE . Must be one of the best upgrades i ever made.

Regards,
Daran
:smashin:

Thanks, I'll probably be back with a load more questions after I've priced up for my room.

Oh, actually, here's a quicky:

Do you treat every wall in the room?

Cheers :)

Hi Godfather,
Missed your reply there :suicide: .

Got all my LENRD's up in place and Studiofoam on the wall's , now the misses wants to paint the room:rolleyes: .

Also without a plasma at the moment , waiting for a replacement .

So once again MY room's in a mess.

Nice to hear from someone who's tried diffusion, might give it ago when funds allow . It's hard to believe how much money one can spend on this type of thing.

Regards,
Daran

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom