1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Survivors

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Squirrel God, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't find much about this movie on the forum. I thought it was excellent. I'm again at odds with the critics :D and damn them for putting me off from buying this for so long :mad: But, to be fair, perhaps "The Killer Cut" (R1) makes the movie a lot better and it's rather barren without the additional scenes ... I don't know as I never saw the theatrical cut.

Anyway, this is not your regular teen horror movie, and it gets ever more intriguing as the non-trivial plotline develops. It's definitely one of those you find yourself mulling over various scenes/evidence in your mind afterwards and chewing over the plot with friends. Good value too as this nature to the movie means multiple viewings. I'll probably enjoy it even more next time round :clap:

Anyone else like it?

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

haven't seen the 'Killer Cut' the original version was bad enough absolutely horrible load of old tosh! Didn't one of the Wilson brothers make a cameo appearance?
    If I remember correctly the only redemming feature was Eliza Dushku in the shower with a blonde which come to think about it almost makes it worth buying!!:D
    I guessed the end twist after about five minutes.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Luke. More than a cameo though, he's in a fair few scenes.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a bad film at all, definitely enjoyable. Seemed to come out at the same time as two other teenage horror/thriller type films, The Hole and Long Time Dead, the latter of which is far better than most reviewers would have you believe.

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we must have been watching a different film... I thought it was easily the worst 90s teen horror i ever saw. Dreamy for the sake of it. Surely the ending was one of the most predictable ever.

I liked The Hole... steered clear of Long Time Dead because of the overwhelming negative reaction.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh come on. There are FAR worse horror movies out there :D

I'm beginning to wonder if the Killer Cut does make it better....

Definitely a firm favourite of mine within the genre anyway :)

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such a shame. OK, it is not the best film you'll ever see but it's certainly not a bad film. Very, very nicely directed in places.
    At least worth renting or buying if you can get it sub-£10.

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't usually pay attention to the reviews to that degree but EVERYONE at the time said it was terrible. Wasn't Joe 'chimp boy' Absolom in it? I'll go for a rental at some point.

The killer cut may well make it better but I didn't like the idea of the film, which was to try and make one of those grown up, intellectual horrors and then completely dumb it down for the MTV generation.

EDIT: is that what you mean?

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well that's what I liked about it because I wasn't expecting that at all - I expected basic teen horror movie with a few kills and a happy ending :)

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that is a film! I really wish they'd do a Criterion version of Jacob's Ladder. In fact, SILVERBACK is on their case as we speak :laugh: :rotfl:

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doh I'd just removed that title in the hope of keeping the thread spoiler free.

SG. could you ammend the thread title to include spoiler warning?

(the film that you mentioned that we can't mention) is quality, got it recently, but definitely not a film to watch when you are not in a position to give it your full attention. Not that I find it confusing anymore... I worked it out after watching it for the tenth time!:D :D

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers James.

I'm not a mod in this forum, so can't change anything :suicide:

Juboy, be a sport please mate and make your quote the same as James' is now :)

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um, I think I did it?

14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to read the thread 3 times because I was in disbelief, you actually have "Long Time Dead" in the same vein as the excellent Jacob's Ladder :eek:

When I watched LTDead at the cinema I knew nothing about it whatsoever, from the beginning it dawned on me that it was a British film so some dread crept in. Well I was not let down by my fears, easily the worst film I've ever seen at the Cinema bar none. The only thing scary about the film was the lame soap actors trying to act. Why do people have misguided patriotism, just because a film is British does not mean it should be given credit, take it for what it is...............utter crap.

As for Soul Survivor, put it this way, without Eliza Dushku I would never have watched it for as long as I did.

I do agree with the points some of you made about critics though, I NEVER take heed of critics opinions when it comes to films I want to watch, especially British critics who suffer badly from misguided patriotism and a love for all films with subtitles.

Phew, now for a chill pill :zonked:

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really, but it'll do :D Cheers :smoke:

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably the same reason some people think a film must be crap if it's British...

Well, LTD may not be great but I'd rather rent that than any of those US based 'teen gross out' movies that dominate the rental stores.

You are correct though, LTD cannot (in any shape or form) be likened to Jacon's Ladder to any greater degree than that they're both films.

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the horror genre is very contentious due to it being linked to our own personal mind. From my own observations people who believe in ghosts and the like tend to find films like Exorcist or Blair Witch Project very scary where as I who find the idea of ghosts funny find the said films to be a big joke with no hint of terror in them. In a horror film I personally look for a film that makes me jump (I could not get scared from a film) and to make me jump normally requires good sonics as well. To this end I find films like Resident Evil, Relic, and Scream 1 to be good horror films.

If I was to pick one film that I considered to be horror film that is closest to being scary I'd say The Omen has it, the tension of the film is brilliant as are the scenes (the rottweilers in the cemetary is very jump inducing) :blush:

I know for a fact that some of the films I've listed will be to some members a big joke as they find the idea of a half man half beetle terrorising a museum to be a big joke but that is my point, what's good for the goose isn't good for the ganda :laugh:

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good way to kiss goodbye to your credibility!:D ;)

and then you go and totally redeem yourself!:rotfl: :D

19. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oi James :mad: :D

I'll have you know that when I screened Relic on Laserdisc at reference volume everyone was jumping like fleas :devil:

20. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that was your HGS throwing them out off their seats!:D but I agree Tom Sizemore's gut in the relic was terrifying!:D

EDIT: actually I'll admit that I like the original Scream very much but the sequels were dire.

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I'm not sure I totally agree with the horror film preference theory. I don't believe in ghosts, and wouldn't believe it was one even if I saw one - just the same way I don't believe in a Devil, angels or God. I do think that films (which are fiction) about those subjects (which, to me, are equally fictitious) can be atmospheric and give you the creeps if they're made well.

I mean, most of the well know horror icons such as Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees, Leatherface etc. are ludicrous when you really think about it but they still make you look over your shoulder when you turn the last light off before going upstairs to bed.

Taking it further to characters like Pinhead and Freddy Kruger, it becomes even more laughable on the face of it but all of these characters are actually based on concepts that have existed for literally hundreds of years in mythology and folklore. That's why they can be scary, they tap into things that may even be only subconcious. They play with our guilt systems about various aspects of life, they offer us an insight in to what might happen were a part of those characters to be part of us all in greater or lesser amounts.

I know people who laugh at horror films. They're nearly always the ones that are truly the most disturbed, worried or 'scared' by what they're seeing and thinking whilst they watch them.

Anyone with half decent film making skills and good sound engineers can make you jump. Making you disturbed, making you question your own surroundings, making you afraid are things only skilled film makers can accomplish.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why horror films ******* rule :devil: :laugh:

22. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy - Are you saying that films like Jason X make you look over your shoulder and that if we laugh at them we are disturbed? :laugh:

I do find most horror films to be funny but it's the same sort of humour when you watch Mr Blonde torture the cop while dancing in Res Dogs. It's very normal, not disturbed.

I see what you are trying to say but I think you used poor examples is all :devil:

23. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason X is a parody based comedy film, nothing more ;)

The earlier imagery employed by Jason was scary though. In fact, humans have a hard time dealing with anyone that chooses to obscure their own face by a mask, and if that mask is expressionless, emotionless and annonymous, it's even more disturbing.

The ice-hockey mask is iconic, it just is scary.

If you know the Jason Vorhees history, he represents an awful lot more than just a fat guy with a homicidal view of nubile young women.

And if anyone posts about how cool he was doing all the killing in the first Friday 13th film, I will not be responsible for my actions! :mad:

24. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen all the Jason films and from 6 onwards they are all meant to be tongue in cheek IMO, the death scenes got very elaborate and Jason seemed to get stronger physically. He is now the anti-hero as Freddy was. FT13th parts 2 and 3 were the scariest efforts with part III being particularly good with 3D.

I thought the way Jason killed folk in the first film was way cool :devil:

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You better start looking over your shoulder whatever films you watch :devil: :D

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched that tonight. Not scary at all as the kills are all too brief, but the film itself is a classic and still makes for enjoyable viewing.

However, the end scene in Friday the 13th with the boat is superb film-making, and the 'moment' is timed to perfection. Even though I knew it was coming, having seen it umpteen times before, it STILL made me jump.

BTW, for the age of the film (1980), I was impressed by the quality of the R1 transfer :)

27. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooooooh yeah! One of my all time favourite cinematic moments. As you say Squirrel, even when you expect it, it still works :)

28. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carrie's ending is just as bad. mind you that film freaks me out.

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too much blood in Carrie for my liking :laugh:

30. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: