Soul (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

It's available on Atmos on my Sony KD75XH9005 via Disney+ app.
Odd. I’ve got an A8 OLED and it’s only 5.1 on the internal app.

Folks, what about Firestick or ROKU? Atmos or 5.1.

I’ll post a pic of my ATV and internal app tomorrow.

I believe the Xbox one (and presumably series S/X) can do Atmos. I've previously watched infinity war using Atmos for headphones through my one s with the headphones plugged in to the controller.

Only 5.1 via the UK Disney+ Stream. Via US Disney+ you get Atmos. Confirmed via my LG OLED inbuilt App and my Nvidia Shield 2019 connected to US Disney+ via a VPN. You also get a couple of additional movies and shows via the US site not available in the UK such as Red Tails and Man In Space.

Watched this last night on the projector and it looked sublime. Even the 5.1 sound mix was very good, but a shame we don't get Atmos on the UK service. The film was also excellent, and I agree with Cas in terms of the score.

Subscribe to US Disney+ via VPN.

Great review as per, Cas.
I thought it was more adult orientated than the usual family Pixar movie.

Not their best but not bad at all.

You don't need a separate US Disney+ Sub. Your UK one will do.
I don’t get Atmos either via Apple TV box or the App on the tv. How are you getting it?

It did look nice, but again i didn't enjoy it .... i just cannot get into the disney/pixar animated stuff at all...

On the back of watching this I dipped into Big Hero 6 again (as it popped up), and have to say I enjoyed it more than I remember first time around. Deals similarly with themes of loss and grief, but a lot more for the kids than I'd consider Soul.

Thanks for the review Cas..watched this afternoon after dinner, was really good cranked up the sound. Now to open some alcoholic. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Enjoyed it...
Especially the jazz being a fan of the genre.
8/10.

However for me, I didn't totally get the story ... what was the message? I don't think it's too deep, or too metaphysical; perhaps another viewing required - which I'll do since it's on streaming, I wouldn't have gone again to the cinema for a second viewing - not a instant hit like other Pixar's.

Basically, our baby souls are caterpillars, we then have a brief period as moths or butterflies, and then, like them, as if irresistibly drawn to the flame, we passively take the escalator up and into the white fiery orb of the "Great Beyond." Anyone who has seen Logan’s Run knows this to be a con, and we have evidence of this as the poor gullible souls spark and crackle as they hit that great electric bug killer in the sky and are thereafter forever extinguished.
The message then must be to stay a caterpillar for as long as you can or, failing that, do whatever it takes to get off that escalator.

Last edited:
Watched this with young kids expecting a typical pixar animation. It didn't quite hit the spot. There were lots of questions from the little one about what was going on. They didn't really get it. Not bad to open up about the subject for young minds although, walking to the light seemed to be made into something bad and scary.

Maybe I should have researched it a bit better first rather than seeing positive headlines about the film and then I might not have saved it for young family time, older kids might enjoy it more.

I like a lot of the Pixar type films but this didn't really float my boat. No catchy tunes but I'm OK with jazz. Can't believe I'm admiting to liking The Rock as a singer.

Might have to give it six months, adjust my expectations and give it another try to see if I could find its spark or maybe it just lacked a little soul.

Was a bit disappointed to be honest, was a good watch but just seemed very low key for a Pixar film. Could imagine little kids being bored of their minds with this. Also found it finish quite abruptly and was over within minutes, felt anticlimactic when compared to Nemo/Coco/Incredibles or Toy Story etc;

3.5/5

I hope they will release it on BD and in 3D. Otherwise I will probably skip it.

I have seen few days ago Onward 3d and to my surprise I liked it a lot (I say to my surprise as I thought Pixar lost its way a bit in recent times). So we have watched Toy Story 4 3d yesterday and it was a disappointment...

I loved Coco but did not like inside and out at all and this one is supposed to be similar to inside and out?

Hmm... Still if they release it on 3d on BD they will get my money :)

I would definitely say it's worth a second watch. So much depth and original ideas in there. Certainly a great companion piece to Inside Out and up there with the best of Pixar in some while.

Well we watched it yesterday evening on the projector and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will agree it's not like Pixars usual work but I don't think that's such a bad thing, pushing boundaries and all that.

Watching the extras gave a good insight into the vision of the director and crew and how they all pulled together to get the film finished in these crazy times.

Solid 8/10 for me too (would have been a 8.5 if it was in Atmos).

I did not like it as much as Inside Out and Coco but a second viewing may be beneficial. I felt there were quite a few referenced to the Pressburger film A Matter of Life and Death especially the moving belt and the view of earth.

Watched this with my 7 and 10 yo, and they were definitely getting a bit restless in parts. I felt it was going for the Inside Out tone but didn't nail it like Inside Out did. I loved the fact that they lingered on the jazz club parts which sounded gorgeous on my system. All in all an 8 is probably about right.

An interesting movie, but unfortunately it doesn't work as a whole piece.
A middle-aged man who going through a mid-life crisis isn't appealing to kids.

The movie starts off with a man who is unfulfilled because he still hasn't executed his dream of playing Jazz professionally. When he gets his chance, he dies and goes to heaven, unfulfilled.

Then it's a movie about a man who has swapped bodies with another soul.

Then it's a movie about a man who becomes selfless and hands his Earth pass to another soul.

None of these ideas gel. It needed to focus on one of them. The character arc ending suggests that the opening should have been about a bitter man who only thinks about his own dreams rather than the dreams of others, that way the ending would have worked.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom