Soul (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched on Disney channel, think we need a 2nd watch though as we both thought it got boring in several parts.

Saw this yesterday and i was pleasantly surprised by Soul.
Liked Inside Out and this was on the same level of enjoyment for me.

Nice review Cas and would rate it the same as you, a solid 8.

Thanks for the review Cas. Really like pretty well everything Pixar have ever produced. Trying to find a perfect time to cough up for a Month, watch everything we want, & bail!

I thought this was a tonal mish mash. I can see kids getting bored and there wasn’t much here for the adults. Lots of ambition though. Had a touch of the Miyazaki about it, but none of the execution.

great fun and something with more depth than the average kids movie
solid 8/10 for me

when i first heard of this film i thought it was going to be about Soul Music!

We really enjoyed this (maybe I did more than the kids). The animation was just superb, so much taken for granted as it whizzes by.
I thought the audio mix (and soundtrack) was a 10, for only a streamed DD 5.1, the effects soared round our room and boosted the overall experience.
Agree with the score Cas, it was almost a 9 for me..

Ok. Ok. I had the opportunity to watch this a week ago but tbh I wasn't interested. My first instinct about movies is usually not far off. Cas has got me a few times going against my instinct and the result is around 50/50. So ok, colour me now interested. But this time I won't rush to see it. (although I probably will :))

Thanks Cas, I think this will be a full family NYE viewing this year. 👍🏻

Yes watched this on Xmas Day as wasn’t too much on terrestrial and we are all locked in anyway. I really enjoyed it - as you say some interesting concepts for a kids movie and the visuals/sounds were pretty good - george

For me, this is a wonderful film. But this foray into more complex themes makes it hard for children below a certain age to enjoy because of the complex ideas/themes going on throughout the movie. My daughter lost interest and I found myself having to keep describing what is going on for her to stay engaged. If the main character was a teenager, maybe it would hit home easier? Visually, it was incredible - with splendid art direction and use of different but interesting animation styles. I feel Pixar will keep pushing these ideas whilst releasing more traditional ’cartoon animation’ for younger audiences alongside these complex stories. Pixar are pushing boundaries and I like it. I’m not sure everyone will like this direction though...

Last edited:
Pretty good overall, was getting a bit bored at the start though, but it picks up.

Has anyone seen Coco?, there is a few recent Pixar movies I still need to watch.

Also watched this with the family over Xmas and we all loved it. Sounded/looked surprisingly good for Disney+.

Pretty good overall, was getting a bit bored at the start though, but it picks up.

Has anyone seen Coco?, there is a few recent Pixar movies I still need to watch.

Coco is a very fun en well done movie which i can highly recommend to you !

I’ve been a huge Pixar fan since the days of the Luxo Jnr short. I really hope they release this on disk sometime, or it will be the first I don’t see.

Keeping with a family tradition of seeing the new release from Pixar on opening week we watched this on Boxing Day.
It‘s fair to say that not all Pixar movies are an instant hit straight off, Cars 3 for instance.
Inside Out, which came out when my youngest daughter was just a little older than Riley resonated with us.
Soul was very enjoyable, some of the animation reminded me of vision on years back.
We would have loved to see this at the cinema.
I hope Pixar keep on making quality films like this with the current situation.

My wife and I both really enjoyed this.

It does start a bit slow, but think it soon gets going and is pretty good overall. It looked and sounded gorgeous as well.

For me a solid 7/10

No interest as an adult in this as sounds bit dull, my son saw the trailer and didnt seem too fussed but will see if he likes it

For me, this is a wonderful film. But this foray into more complex themes makes it hard for children below a certain age to enjoy because of the complex ideas/themes going on throughout the movie. My daughter lost interest and I found myself having to keep describing what is going on for her to stay engaged. If the main character was a teenager, maybe it would hit home easier? Visually, it was incredible - with splendid art direction and use of different but interesting animation styles. I feel Pixar will keep pushing these ideas whilst releasing more traditional ’cartoon animation’ for younger audiences alongside these complex stories. Pixar are pushing boundaries and I like it. I’m not sure everyone will like this direction though...

I agree.

I think it was quite a bold movie, possibly Pixar's most brave one yet. It seemed to take a step up from their standard moral of the story fayre that we've become accustomed to. Attempting to explore what was essentially a deeper consideration of the meaning of life in a way that could appeal to kids, I think it has to be applauded for a pretty sterling effort to be honest.

I could easily see as you say why some kids may switch off as there are some complicated themes at work here; and at times they detracted from the sense of fun and engagement that were on offer.

But overall they kept it just on the right side of where it needed to be, and it certainly has an appeal to young and old alike. I think I gave it a 7.5 in the other thread, and this release is far from their worst effort.

Last edited:
Watched this on Christmas day with the family and really enjoyed it. My wife thought it was a bit too abstract and metaphysical in parts, so I gave her an abstract, metaphysical smack round the head.

8/10.

Personally I thought this was one of the most boring films Pixar have produced in recent times. Really couldn’t get into it at all. 5/10

I was pleasantly suprised with Soul, but i am a sucker for Jazz and it was heartwarming. I am not sure if this is really a movie for little kids, but at least it is a great watch for adults. 8/10

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom