Soul 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I have nothing but admiration for Pixar for tackling such 'worthy' concepts. Inside Out was quite extraordinary & the thought of millions of children receiving such good, soulful nourishment was truly heart-warming. .

I couldn't click with Soul though unfortunately. Again, nothing but admiration for its existence, but I didn't find this anywhere near as effective as Inside Out. Hard to put my finger on why...

Thanks for the review.

We really enjoyed Soul, even steaming via Disney+, it looked gorgeous, some of the “real world” scenes looked ... real.
I was also very impressed with the use of audio, my speaker system was providing us with much enjoyment so I can imagine the physical will sound fantastic.

Fantastic film in every respect, thoroughly enjoyed by the whole family, looks like a worthy purchase.

I was enjoying this until we left the "real world" section... once that happened I found it really, really dull.

Thanks for the review @Simon Crust, I really enjoyed this on Disney+ and found the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross superb as well as the performances in the club. I’ve bought the 4K steelbook which seems to be the only UK edition which actually contains the additional extras Blu-ray that comes as standard in the USA version.

Thanks for the review.

We really enjoyed Soul, even steaming via Disney+, it looked gorgeous, some of the “real world” scenes looked ... real.
I was also very impressed with the use of audio, my speaker system was providing us with much enjoyment so I can imagine the physical will sound fantastic.
I also watched it on Disney+ just yesterday and I did enjoy it. I had the same impressions with the "real world" scenes.

We just found it suck a dull movie. The kids lost interest fairly quickly in this one, not sure why it didn’t gel but it just not for us at all.

Enjoyed it when we watched it on Disney+ and I’d be keen to upgrade to 4K physical but not at £25 so will wait for the inevitable drop to £15 in a few months.

Watched this on Disney+ when it came out and also enjoyed it a lot. And yes the soundtrack is superb, made me remember how good The Social Network is by the same guys.

The only thing I'd say about the film is that it had moments where it seemed like it was about to say something really profound about life but stepped back. I know it's a family film, but from memory, Kung Fu Panda (well 1 and 3) managed to say a bit more.

I agree with a few other posters, Soul was alright, but far from some of the best pixar has offered. I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon, put it that way. Musical score was excellent, the technical aspect to the cg great as usual. Ironically I think where the movie moved over to the "soul" setting for the second half of the film, is where it lacked that very thing. I just couldn't relate to that world or those characters enough, also pacing just seemed a little off at times too.

I watched this last night on Disney+ and loved it, really clicked with it. The film score too was wonderful. Another magical film from Pixar and will definitely be making its way onto my 4K shelf!

I really liked this, but as others have said, there was just something that didn't make me fall in love with it. Did it seem a bit....choppy? Or a bit lurchy? cant put it into words.

However, Pixar has to be commended as yet again they are not afraid to touch upon death and is very refreshing to see.

Loved the film. Also on Disney+ here and what I'm REALLY curious about is how the 4k UHD compares with the Disney+ version. I mean, given a good connection, Dolby Vision and Atmos are both there and there's OBVIOUSLY compression involved because you still can't just stream the data rate of a UHD, but how close do they get ???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom