1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOS Highlander Help Please

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Tardis, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    SOS: I need some advice from you guys about Highlander films.

I’m looking to buy the Highlander films. I think there are 4 films in all?

The problem is there seems to be some many different versions of the films that I’m getting a bit confused as to which ones to get. Region 1 or 2 preferably.

Many thanks for any suggestions. :thumbsup:

2. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the region 1 versions are the ones you want.

*Highlander 1 Immortal edition(saying that hold off on that one as i think they are about to release a 20th anniversary version)

*Highlander Renegade version (20 mins put back into the film and re-edited, will probaly never see the light of day in the UK)

*Highlander 3 (again US version uncut)

*Highlander 4 (US version comes with the film twice. A 100min rough cut version)

Dont bother with the UK versions at all

3. Tomaso

Tomaso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have really messed up the storyline in these movies..
    As for the first movie (the only good one) you should definately go for the R1 Anchor Bay release. It's the Director's Cut, although it doesn't say so on the cover, and it's in anamorphic widescreen.

As for the second movie, wich is kind of ok I guess, you should go for the R1 Renegade Version..
    it's not in anamorphic format, but atleast the story matches the Dir. Cut version of the first movie.
    ..there has recently been released a Highlander 2 Special Edition, but this is the original version with a somewhat different story (instead of beeing from the past, the immortals are from outer-space) and as far as I can tell, this version is not in anamorphic format either.

When it comes to movie 3 & 4.. well, you're better of without them..
    The storyline gets totally messed up, and in lack of another word; they're just crap.

4. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks guys, :thumbsup:

I was beginning to lose faith in this forum. :laugh: :laugh:

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original storyline for Highlander 2 would have explained that the immortals were fallen angels from heaven and would have had the final one left fighting Satan for a place in heaven.

They rejected that script as being way too expensive and it was sorta remade as The Prophecy many years later but with alterations and a much cheaper budget.

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    with Highlander 2 you want the new 2 disc se from Lions Gate on R1 - it's not quite the renegade version (it is 20 minutes longer though), more a hybrid of the theatrical cut and the renegade, but it's been recut by Russell Mulcahy as he wants the "final" version to be. The visual fx have been updated, has DD5.1EX, DD2.0 surround and dts 6.1ES audio, anamorphic widescreen, tons of extras on its chaotic making plus visual fx breakdowns and other stuff... it's actually a really good set if you like the film or you just want to see how screwed up everything got with this one, there's not really any holds barred in the documentaries, and it's well cheap for what it is. I've got it and I think it supercedes all the previous versions that have been released. Nothing will turn it into a "good" film, but this set's the best out there. I'd get this version first and maybe buy the original Renegade version (dirt cheap now) afterwards if it doesn't quite give you what you're looking for, although it's certainly a lot better than any other release for the background material and pic and audio quality.

Go for the single disc Anchor Bay R1 of Highlander unless you want half a dozen tracks from Queen on CD as that's all the 2nd disc in the 2 disc SE consists of, so it's a bit misleading when it's listed as a 2 disc set.