• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sorting music and Apps on each device

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys,

I have the New iPad and iPhone 4S and want to be able to put a selection of different music and Apps on each device

When I connect up each device it places all the Apps and Music that was in my iPad onto the iPhone and Vice Versa

Is there a way to only have what you want on each device and not the same ?

Wingsurfer

Instead of using sync manually manage content?

DanParker

In iTunes deselect the tick box in the app page which states something along the lines of automatically download new apps. All will be listed but you can then just select which ones you need.

surfymark

For Music, I have found it easiest to create a new Playlist for each device. Then add the music to the playlist for the device you want it on and instead or synching all music, just sync the playlist.

I wish there was a similar way for apps.

M

eddiethered

You can create different libraries for each device by, on a mac, holding down the options key, or on a pc holding the shift key down, whilst clicking on itunes to open it. A dialogue box will pop up and ask if you want to open a library or create one. You can create one for the device you want to be different. Name it with eg Ipad Library and save it to your desktop. Find out where your existing library is and then open the desired one by bringing up the dialogue box each time as above when opening itunes.

You will need to add/delete the apps and music off each device as you wish and sync and then each time you should have what you want on each device.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Can this work though if iCloud is used ?

I haven't used iCloud at all since it was launched but I wouldn't mind trying it out

bransoj

Not sure about iCloud as i dont use it but but in terms of separate devices on one iTunes we run two iPhones, an iPad and an iPod Nano all of the same account. In terms of music i have separate playlists for each device and just sync those over and i've turned off the automatically sync apps option that is on the apps tab when a device is connected. Works fine for me.

D

Deleted member 27989

I have all iPhones, iPads connected and each have their own settings, playlist, apps etc...Don't think I've done anything much more more than untick the box that said sync all, mainly because all wouldn't fit on the largest device....

MonkeyPrince

dejongj said:
I have all iPhones, iPads connected and each have their own settings, playlist, apps etc...Don't think I've done anything much more more than untick the box that said sync all, mainly because all wouldn't fit on the largest device....

Same here, 2 iPhones and an iPad all with their own specific content synced.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom