Question SORTED: Amazon Audible can't download audio book to Windows 10 iTunes problem

Simonides

I can listen to Amazon Audible books ok on an iPhone but I want to download some to my Windows 10 computer to put onto an iPod. I thought it would be easy - big mistake. I have iTunes, Audible Download Manager and Audible Manager all installed. I'm using Chrome with Windows Defender and no ad-blockers. I've tried with Firefox as well.

I log onto my account at audible.co.uk, go to the library and see my books in the library. I hover on Download and can select Full, Part 1, Part 2 or Part 3. Whichever I select, I go to How to Listen | Audible.co.uk but nothing has downloaded. There's no delay and the target folder (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Audible\Downloads remains empty.

I've tried this on two different Windows 10 computers with the same result.

I believe what should happen is that a file gets downloaded, transferred via Audible Download Manager and Audible Manager into Itunes and hence onto my iPod but unless a file gets downloaded that's not going to happen. I contacted Audible help twice. The first time, Emmen said he'd email some instructions. Nothing arrived. The second time, Hannah said she'd refer it to technical support, but I've not heard anything. Surely it can't be that hard?

Any suggestions please?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I've not tried the US service myself but looking through the instructions it appears as if the download link is a launch command for amazon's download manager rather than a normal download link.

If you've tried multiple browsers with no add-ons then it's probably that that download manager install has failed to register the protocol handler correctly so it's not being launched when you click the link.

This may be because of security software or because it was unable to get proper permissions (it'll probably need administrator permission for something like that).

Try uninstalling the download manager, disabling any security software you have running and then launch the installer for the download manager with administrative permissions.

Simonides

Thanks, this is the UK service. I uninstalled download manager, turned off antivirus and reinstalled download manager with "Run as Adminstrator" but there's no change in behaviour unfortunately.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It should be possible to create the link manually but without knowing what it is I wouldn't want to attempt it.

You could launching the download manager and then try dragging and dropping the link between browser and download manager, that may work.

Simonides

I'm pleased to say it's sorted now. The third (yes, incredible, isn't it?) customer support agent I spoke to said 'oh it's easy to fix that, I'm surprised no-one told you' - I had to go into Audible account settings and uncheck the box for software verification. When I next downloaded an audible book it immediately used the Audible Download manager (previously downloaded) to download the audible files onto the windows 10 drive.

Simonides

Not sure if it Audible Download Manager was actually launched. I've not managed to get the audio book to play in iTunes yet, but I guess that's another problem. I'm starting to wonder if Audible was worth three days of my life!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom