1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry! - yet another speaker position question :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adele, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'd really appreciate some advice on the positioning of my rear speakers (MA Silver fxi - along with 8is at front and 10i) as they're going up high on the wall - so not much scope to experiment before I start drilling the wall!

I've (hopefully!) attached a drawing of my room - should the fxi's go at each end of the wall facing the fireplace, or on the centre of adjacent walls (behind each sofa)?

Please help!
    Thanks,
    Adele.

Attached Files:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

The FXi´s are Dipole/Bipole (switchable). Which means to get the best out of them they need to be directly to the sides of the listening position so that the null is facing you. Thats going to be a bit tricky going by the plan of your room.

Try one above the window and at the end of the sofa at the bottom left of the diagram. The other to the left of the sofa at the top of the diagram and maybe further back so its null is facing the sofa at the bottom left.

Trouble is one sofa is not going to get a very good surround effect.

You need to play about with different speaker positions, which is easier said than done in some cases.

Or, as you say, both on the wall directly opposite the fireplace which may work well.

3. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase - problem is, the speakers won't go above the window (the window goes more or less all the way up to the ceiling and into the corner!) Need to have one speaker on the rear wall facing the fireplace OR over the door at the bottom of the picture, but that'll probably place the rears too far forward!

Looks like I'll need to get both sets of ladders out and get my hubby and one of his mates to hold the speakers up in different places and just see what sounds better!

Not enough walls without doors/windows in my house!