1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sorry to be an amateur

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by croozer, Apr 2, 2005.

1. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am not completely brain dead but can somebody explain to me the physical difference between a digital co-axial lead and an ordinary jack plug lead which in itself is co-axial.even the basic of each vary enormously in price and that is the reason for asking.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Digital Coax cables have to be of a fixed 75 ohm impedance which standard analogue interconnects do not.

3. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou for your reply Crustyloafer,please bear with me on the following question.my digital co-axial audio output socket on my dvd player is connected to the digital co-ax audio input socket on my denon amp with one half of a pair of ordinary jackplug leads,probable cost £1-99.am i getting digital sound?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Yes you are but it can affect the quality of the sound. One of the reasons for digital coax cables to be of a 75 ohm ipedance is so that they can be run for really long lenghths without any noticeable signal loss, over short distances it's not as important. If you can I would recommend getting a good quality but basic digital interconnect for about £25 or thereabouts, something like the Black Rhodium Rhythm would be a good choice.