1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

sorry, really simply question.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by whats_this, Dec 20, 2004.

1. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got stung when i was building my hcpc and bought a Kamakaze cpu cooler only to find it didnt fit my mobo. Now i have a new mobo but haven’t tried the kamakaze as i wouldn’t imagine it would fit (its blinking huge) So i am now in the market for a quiet (preferable speed adjustable) fan to cool my athlonXP 3200+ on my mti K7N2 delta 2 deluxe mobo. No idea what would fit my mobo so if anyone with experience with the board (or have any idea how to tell wat would fit and what wouldn’t) could pass on some advice it would be very much appreciated.

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi whats this, the cooler will be designed to fit the CPU socket itself - independant of the mobo. So any Socket A motherboard should fit any Socket A cooler. You may have bought a cooler for a Pentium IV.

Coolers are pretty damn big, but it should fit in your PC unless the case is small - have a look at the packaging. If it says Socket 478 (to fit a Pentium IV) you're scuppered, if it says Socket A you're OK. I've currently got a ThermalTake SilentBoost, nice and chunky in copper but not as quiet as I expected at full speed.

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, some heatsinks will not fit on certain motherboards. The layout of some boards means that capacitors are in the way of the socket, preventing a large heatsink from being fitted. It is worth trying as quite a few can be fiddled into place very carefully but if this heatsink is really huge and it wont fit then I would recommend having a look on ebuyer.com. I have installed a few aero 7lite's and they fit very well and can be very quiet on the right setting, but anyway, take a look at the reviews: they are very helpful.

You want to get a heatsink rated as high as possible so you can run it at low speed (NO fans are quiet at high speed - NONE). A higher rated sink will mean slower rpm to get the same cooling. Another factor is the heat paste, this can really help heat disspation and it really makes a huge difference to spend £5 on a decent squirt of conductive gel. BEWARE - too little doesnt conduct heat obviously - too much and the sink is pushed too far from the processor and it becomes ineffective again. Look on google/ebuyer for an idea of how much to use.

Good luck

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Iain, I use the Zalman Super Flower Cooler (http://www.quietpc.com/uk/amdcooling.php#7700) on my MSI K8T Neo. Its fairly narrow, and the fins flair upwards and outwards, which I would imagine gives clearance for most of the local motherboard parts.

Its superbly quiet as well :)

5. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry mango bob but this is definatly not the case as i know first hand that this is just not true and it depends a lot on the layout of the board aswell as if your mobo has hole around the cpu chip for some coolers.

Thanks chris, had a look at the compatibility list, also found at quiet pc, and unfortunatly my mobo doesnt seem to be compatible, although i shall take the top off and have a look and see if it has the holes around the cpu later tonight.