Sorry peeps, another question, this time it's spl levels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mr_fantazmo, Jun 27, 2002.

1. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, just a quick question, and forgive me for being stoopid!! I have just ordered an spl meter and the avia home theatre test disc, however i was just wondering, when i'm calibrating my marantz 4200 amp, do i set the main volume to 0 db and then adjust each speaker accordingly so it reads 75 db on the spl meter? I've never done anything like this before so i could do with a quick guide if anyone has the time of day to help. Thanks again for any help, hopefully i will be able to offer advice to other people soon instead of recieving it all the time!! Cheers!!

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Hi

Setting the volume level at 0db and then balancing the levels to 75db (in the case of the AVIA disc set to 85db) means that when you watch a film at 0db you will watching it at reference level (loud!).

You can set the master volume to less and then balance the levels if you wish.

cheers

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    I leave the mains alone and adjust the volume to get one to 75db. Then I'll balance them so they are both 75db. Then balance all the others leaving the master volume alone.

Someone will now tell me this is incorrect....

4. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    hey mr_fantazmo,where did you get your stuff from?
    i am looking to get a spl meter myself.
    also if you think it helps post back and let me know;)
    as i am curious.
    ta.

5. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i havent got a spl meter but a few months ago using my amps test tone and dvd platinum and thx optimizer and my own ears and by the wy i pu the amp on 0 when doing this, it is more accurate that way, i have turned the frons up and rear left, all the speakers are now equal and the sound is defantly better, everything sounds better than ever before

6. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting my avia disc from amazon.com, don't go to the official avia website as it is about 40 or 50 quid, whereas it only costs around 30 quid on amazon. I did originally want the dvd platinum disc but i think it has been discontinued as i cant get it anywhere, so hopefully the avia disc will work just as well, but i will keep you posted, i'm quite new to all this so it will be interesting if i can tell the difference!! I got my spl meter from cornwall electronics i cant remember the website, but do a search on here for spl meters and there will be a link!! Neither of these have arrived but i will post my opinions, (i hope it isnt all complicated!!)

Cheers for all the advice anyways, i'll give it a shot!!!

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    I hate Avia never trust a man in a blue cardigan when it comes to home cinema especially if he sounds like a canadian Frankie Howard. I'd expect the BBFC to jump on this one if its released over here sharpish like.