1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry if this has been covered. Sagem HD 45

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bandog, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read the other threads and to be honest with you, they make absolutly no sense to me. This is the first time I have bought a TV like this, mainly been sticking to Song Wega's so I am a complete newbie at this. Can this TV be pugged into a normal co-ax cable and watch tv on? Do I need special equipment to make it run? As I said, complete newbie. I am now scared after reading all the threqads that I am way out of my depth with this TV.

Please can someone give me a simple guide to it and if it can be run as a normal TV?

Thanks in advance.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    Bandog :hiya:

You can indeed use a normal co-ax cable but I wouldnt recomend it as its the worst connection you can use. Instead try a RGB scart from a digi box or Sky box. For a dvd player use the DVI connection (if you have one) or the compoent connection.

You can also connect up a pc via the VGA connection or again the DVI connection, the results are stunning, especially with HD material.

DLP tv's are the same as normal crt tv's in their use but have more connectvity and a better larger screen.

I hope this helps. BTW welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

3. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Razor, I have been reading for a couple of days and now feel like a complete thicky. I have a Cambridge Audio DVD player and a basic Sky box (not Sky+). My Sony is attached with a Scart lead but I don't know if it is a RGB. Also, what is a DVI connection? Sorry for the dumb questions but as I said, this is the first time I have bought a high end TV.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

The only real difference between a sky+ box and a normal one is that sky+ has DD 5.1 optical out and a Hard Drive.

Go into your picture settings in the sky box and set to RGB. Save and exit. You will need a RGB scart or a Fully wired scart Lead. Use a good one, I like Ixos leads.

Then look at your tv manual and hopefully you will have 1 RGB scart connection. Use this.

DVI stands for Digital Video Interface. It is a digital connection which means there is no conversion work taking place.

ie Digital to Analogue to Digital (dvd disc rec in digital, player converts to Analogue and display converts back to digital to display)

You also get true 1:1 pixel mapping with a digital connection.

A DVI input was mainly used with pc's (LCD flat panel and projectors), it has since made its way over the home cinema land. DVI carries picture information only.

HDMI is very similar to DVI but carries sound as well. It also has a higher bandwidth limit. But all in all very similar.

HMDI and DVI are the future of HD material as it has HDCP which is a form of copyright protection to stop people doing 1:1 (perfect copies) of HD. There are a few displays out there that have a DVI connection but no HDCP steer clear of these machines as they will be useless with fututre HD material. There will be work arounds but costly.

DVI

BTW there are a few different types of DVI all the new DLP sets have DVI-D which is 4th generation DVI and is digital. I think if I am correct in saying that DVI-A is Analogue and not digital.

:thumbsup:

5. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Razor, you are a Godsend. I get my Sagem on Sept 5th and I am really looking forward to it. By the sounds of it I have bought a great set and now I am really looking forward to playing with it. Just some of the people on here are real tech's and they made it sound like rocket science :eek:

I am buying from John Lewis and they say they are providing everything I need but if it does not come with an RGB scart I will go out and buy one.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    Bandog :hiya:

No problem at all. You wont get a scart lead with the Sagem, at least not a good one.

You can get a good scart lead from this place. Leads

7. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic.

I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for my new TV. :clap: :clap: :clap:

again thanks for your help.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    :hiya:
    We all know what that is like. I was so excited the day before it arrived and I was curtain watching on delivery day. :rolleyes:

:D

9. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had never heard of Rear Projection TV's and thought I was buying a LCD screen but the more I read about it, the better I feel about what I am actually getting.

Out of the three, Plasma, LCD and Rear Projection, what would you say give the best picture using Sky and DVD's?

I have read that bulbs blow on the screen, does it happen often and are the replacements expensive?

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    I would place DLP rear projection at the top of the list. Bulb life is an estimated 8000-10000 hrs on these sets. So plenty of movie time ahead.

Old rear pros (crt/lcd) arent no where near as good as DLP rear pros.

11. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting even more excited, more so because my bro in law just bought a sony 32" LCD and told me I will never get a better set than him. Think I have.

I have read on other threads about all the config changes you can do, is it simple or pretty tough to master?

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

Any decent display takes a while to set up properly, also these dlp sets have a burn in period where the bulbs settle dwon so your setting s will change after approx 100 hours. Also remember you have to set each input up independantly. This means the settings on your sky box will be different to your dvd player. Allot of people just set one input up thinking that it covers all the inputs. This is not true.

You should be fine setting up your display you can use the THX optimiser found on the starwars dvd or any other THX approved dvd. This is very good for setting up your contrast values. Too higher contrast and you lose the black detail.

There are also discs like AVIA or DVE which will help you get the best pic possible.

13. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are fantastic Razor.

I am really looking forward to configuring this set. The 5th can't come soon enough.

Congratulations on a wonderful website as well, without this place (and you) I think I would have changed my mind and bought a "normal" TV.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    Thank you for your kind words. :) Glad you didnt go for a normal tv. Keep us all posted. :thumbsup:

15. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do Razor.

I shall be giving a complete newbies review on it a couple of days after I am getting it.

I am day counting, I have not been like this since I was a kid.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

My set still has me grinning from ear to ear and I have owned it for nearly a year. :D

A great investment. :thumbsup:

17. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds as if I have made a fantastic choice, I will admit that once I found out it was not a LCD screen I did worry that I had bought the wrong set but now, I am sure that I bought the correct one.

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

LCD aint a patch on DLP. :D

19. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 days and counting :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Bandog - don't know if your Cambridge DVD player has component video sockets, but if it has then invest in a good quality component video lead for an even better picture than with SCART.

If you check out the powerbuys in the cables section on these forums, a guy called Mark is selling Belden component cables at bargain prices (£50 a metre. But for this cable that is a bargain - money well spent). This is the best component cable I have ever used and many others say the same - check out the reviews. Message him to see if he does SCARTs. He does all sorts of top quality cables that are custom made for each customer, so he might well be able to do you a SCART. Don't spend over a grand on your set then compromise its potential by skimping on the connections.

Configuration is a doddle. As Razor says, get a THX disc like Star Wars or Terminator 2 and use the THX Optomizer to set the picture. Don't rely on the factory settings. These were totally OTT on my set when I got it.

Set your Sagem up properly with decent quality connections and your brother-in-law will be sick as a chip when he sees the results. Don't be too disappointed with the quality of broadcast TV pictures in comparison to DVD. Once you go above 32", the poor quality of broadcast telly really shows up. In this respect his LCD will probably look better, but only because the screen is smaller and doesn't show up the imperfections.

But a well set up and well connected DVD demo on your 45" set will leave him green! :D Pick something huge and spectacular to really show off the scale of the screen. Better still, if you can attach a PC for a hi-def demo, then that will completely ruin his year. :)

In-laws? 32" LCDs? :rotfl:

21. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks The Pauley.

I will look into those connections tonight. I was told that Cambridge Audio make fantastic DVD players and that it is crystal based?.

22. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be boring but....6 days. That's right, just 6 days :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

Let me guess, tomorrow it will be five days.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Boy your are excited. :D

24. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha, just a little Razor.

I need to as you a question, I had a look at the back of a DLP TV and say that the RGB connection is the same as a serial port on a PC. How do I plug a RGB connector into my DVD/Vid/Sky set up?

Thanks for being so patient.

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    RGB is obtained through the scart connection there should be 2 RGB scart inputs on your set.

26. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice set up as well, that looks amazing. I am jealous (for 6 days :D )

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

Cheers :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (nearly 5 1/2 days) :D

28. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those pictures have made me even more excited. Is it easy to wire or is it quite fiddly?

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    If you know what your doing it aint to bad. If not you might have a headache on your hands. :D

Thank you for the compliment. [​IMG]

30. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just the weekend to go. I am excited but also nervous, this looks like a lot or work wiring it all up and configuring the pictures but it should be fun and I have this place when I need it ;)

Any last minute advice Razor?

Also, showed a couple of guys in the office your set up, to say they were jealous is an understatement.