sorry guys, new tivo owner with setup problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by alex f, Jan 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hooray, I managed to get a new Tivo!!!
    BUT

(On the initial setup) I have a problem with the setup, It gets to the point of dialling up after I have selected what channels I want, says it will take a few hours, connects and the yellow led lights up and then after about 3 or 4 mins it turns itself off and puts the page back to the "welcome to tivo" in home use setup screen.
    I have tried turning it off for a few mins and it goes back to the welcome setup page! I have only the tivo connected to the phone line and have selected "aerial" instead of sky and this has not made a difference either.
    After 12 hours of the same problem I am beginning to get slightly annoyed now :-(

Is this a normal problem with an easy solution or have I got REAL problems???

Please help

Thanks

Alex

2. Sock Monster

Sock Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've set two different Tivos up now (one with Sky, one with Cable) and never encountered this problem. I did have problems connecting with one of them, but when it did eventually get through the setup worked.

I would suggest calling the Tivo helpline number in the manual. On most occaisions I've found them to be really helpful and pretty good technically.

Good luck!

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
  4. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your help guys, spoke to Tivo and they said its had it and I should swap it for another one. So I will!

Sock Monster, it did a download and stayed on housekeeping on the initial setup but it turns off every 30sec to 1min so it had no chance at all to process the info, that's why tivo said I should give up.

Cheers

Alex

5. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Have a look through the Tivo Community Forums, as said before this fault is common but if you persist you will get the software upgrade which will solve the problem. The problem with a swap out is there is very little stock some people have been waiting for 8 weeks for a replacement

6. Sock Monster

Sock Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry to hear that TiVo are suggesting a swap out. I had problems with my TiVo and insisted that I got a new replacement, not a reconditioned unit. They would not agree to this but as the problem was only with lack of widescreen switching I gave up and kept it. It works fine otherwise. I did not want to go through the hassle of getting it repaired or being replaced with a reconditioned unit.

I know of people on the TiVo forums who have taken units back to the original supplier and got them swapped for a new unit as they did not want a reconditioned unit.

I guess this may not be an option for you with the lack of TiVos, unless your original supplier has another new unit. If it's somewhere like Comet or Dixons you may be in luck but I hear TiVos are now like gold dust.

Good luck! Hope you get it sorted. It will be worth it in the end, as they really are as good as everyone says.

7. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I know it will be worth it. A brand new one arrived today. I checked the serial number with the Tivo community forum and its one of the last ones made!! Luck or what?

I've just got the hassle of setting all of it up again but like you said, it will be worth it.

Thanks guys

Alex