Sorry for the basic question.

Pack Dude

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about mobiles but i'm buying an iphone for a friend. She has a 10 year old pay as you go SIM on Orange and wants to keep it.

I see from the Orange website you can now get the phone on PAYG.

What are the best sites to buy online? What is the best iphone to buy for use as PAYG?

You'll need a 3G sim to get the full benefit of the Iphone. She'll be able to transfer her old number to the new 3g sim card.
Have a look at the Tesco Iphone thread for the best payg Iphone.

I had a feeling the old SIM would not be cutting it anymore, its good to hear you can change over the number to a new one.

I'll check out Tesco.
Thanks.

I noitced Tesco is on O2 i'm guessing she will not be able to change an orange number over to o2?

Last edited:
You can change her to any network, I'd recommend 3 if she wishes to gain the best of her iPhone for it's 3G coverage. You will have to Jailbreak though. eBay is a good source, I got a 16GB 3G for £290 off of a reliable seller

If she phones Orange she can request her PAC number - Porting Authorisation Code. This can then be given to any other network to allow her current mobile number to be transferred to the new network.

All networks are legally obliged to provide this, so you'll have no troubles. You'll probably find though, she will get offered a deal on the iPhone when she requests it, if you say that's what you're looking to buy next.

Thanks guys, I had never heard of the PAC number so that looks good. I'll also check out Jailbreaking and 3 :)

Pack man, just to add, if you get a new phone, Jail breaking to unlock isn't really an option nowadays, because if you are away from a Pc, and the phone needs to restart, turn off, locks up, you cannot use the phone again until you re-connect it to a Pc.

If you are looking to buy used, then a phone currently on O2 can be officially unlocked, if you buy it off someone with a contract that is free to do, if it is PAYG, it is £15.

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom