sorry for such a beginners question!!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by haven't-a-clue, Oct 26, 2004.

1. haven't-a-clue

haven't-a-clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, i didnt realise(until i started reading on this forum) that there are a choice of sky boxes!

can anyone recommend the best quality box - for connectivity and signal!
    any boxes out there with component out? or better to wait for 2006 until hi-def boxes are brought out? i have(will have) an assignable HDMI in-put on my amp!

thanks for all your help!

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What type of box Sky or Sky+?

Whichever, if you buy from Sky you probably won't get a choice. Or do you have a box and are thinking about changing?

As far as I know at the moment none give component out (certainly no Sky+s) but you could play through a DVDR (etc) to get this.

Also compared to DVD you will find the quality of Sky to be less. This is due largely to the low bitrates used especially on certain channels, though some such as BBC and Sky are reasonable.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Haven't-a-clue, all of the brands of Sky boxes are supposed to have exactly the same functionality and specificiations. Generally speaking the main difference people talk about between the boxes is their reliability rather than performance.

Unfortuantly trying to specify which brand of box you get from Sky is a long battle which is rarely successful but most people have a preference for the Pace box and Amstrad should be avoided like the plague if popular belief is true.

4. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    there are currently no sky receivers that offer component output, that's regular sky receiver or sky+ receiver.

you will have to buy a convertor, like this , too give you a component signal.