sorry! fan always on after HDD UG..any ideas?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Gerchek, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Gerchek

Gerchek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I fitted a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB IDE ATA/100 8MB 7200RPM (Manufacturer P\N: ST3250823A) to my Pace V2 Sky + box. Everything is lovely except the fan will not ever go off.
    The unit is really cold to touch, doesn't sit on any VCR or anything, (in fact has a shelf that allows free flow ventilation all round, (top and bottom).

I've tried the reset, etc etc.

Any ideas? Anybody fitted this drive without issue?

Any help appreciated.

Vince

2. mart280

mart280
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think if you upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive, the fan will stay on all of the time due to the increased heat.

EDIT: maybe not the heat, but I am pretty sure the fan stays on all the time with 7200 upgrades.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you'll find the unit is cool to the touch because the fan is on :)

I fitted a 200GB Maxtor drive to my box last year, and the fan runs quite a lot. As soon as I've cleared the recordings that are on the box, I'm replacing it with a 160GB 5400rpm drive which is designed for PV use. I've never filled the 200GB drive beyond 62% anyway, so I won't miss the extra 40GB.

See the "Which drives were used to upgrade" thread for a big discussion on Sky+ drives.

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I just replaced a PC drive with a 200gb Barracuda. While it was sitting outside the case in open air it was hot to the touch, hardly surprising your fan runs.

Barracuda's are effectively silent on paper (25-28db) but you really need to enable acoustic mode before using in a PVR, the seeking clicks are louder than I've heard for a long time. On paper my Hitachi 7K250's are louder, in practice my RAID0 pair make less noise than the single Seagate and run cooler.

5. Gerchek

Gerchek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, it's not cool because the fan is on Nick because it's cool when I disconnect the fan too, but thanks for the reply.

Not sure about the 7200 speed either as others have such drives, (not maybe seagate though), and they don't seem to have that issue.

I'll try a 200gb Maxtor drive I have in my PC, see if that makes any difference.

Just thought others might've used this drive before.

cheers,

Vince :cool:

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    I have Pace Sky+ v1 and v2 boxes.

I've tried 120 and 160GB drives from Maxtor, and a 120GB samsung in the V2, and all of them make the fan run all the time.

It isn't a heat thing because even after several hours unplugged from the mains, the fans start up the instant it is plugged in. They even seem to start before the box has booted up.

However, all of the same drives installed in the V1 box do not have this effect. In fact, with all the above drives the fan on the V1 hardly comes on at all.

Personally I think this is a quirk of a particular batch of Pace V2 boxes, and its the reason I moved mine out of the AV room and replaced it with the V1.
    The fan is bloomin' annoying.