Sorry dvd-r again

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by niccam, Jun 22, 2002.

1. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, sorry about this thread but I just purchased the DMR-E20and now thats it,s about for a while I need to know the best blank
    dvd-r,s , and whats the difference between say Pinco branded and Pinco unbranded because I'm getting mixed views on these I would have thought that the branded would be better ,have read that FWS are good . Please could I have your thoughts on.
    Thank you

2. BigDG

BigDG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had very good results with TRAXDATA disk which you can pick up for £2 each, FWS disks also work well but TRAXDATA my preferred choice at moment.

3. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Traxdata purple topped ones are very good

I found princos unbranded and branded to be rubbish, not very compatable (sp?) with other players

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    FWS branded are fine on the E20.

5. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody for the info.Being playing about with the DMRE20 with ram discs and I'm impressed with the results ,have not got any dvd-r discs yet but could you please answer this question for me, if I record from a video to dvd-r with no pauses or stops does that just give me one chapter or does it change when I finalise the disc? and if I do it that way how can I jump to a certain part of the dvd?. Thank you if you can help

6. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the pioneer you can set your chapter time 5 mins 10 or no chapters i should imagine the panasonic has a setting similar.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will only give you one chapter that shows in the chapter list (menu).

There are markers inserted every five minutes so you can skip five minutes at a time but you cannot get a list of these sections to start from a given one.

Depending on the content of the tape it may be easier for you to stop and start the recording, this will produce a list of chapters that you can name and then choose from a menu on any DVD player (once the disk has been finalised).

DaveP

8. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DaveP the stop and start will do for me.

9. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I burned my first dvd-r tonight on Traxdata, XP mode, and have not finalised it yet as more to go on it but when I switched off I switched back on again to see how it preformed the disc just kept being read so I tried to stop it but none of the buttons would work resulting a trapped disc. I held the on/off switch for 10 seconds and the machine shutdown I was able to retreve the disc by pressing the open/close button, I tried the disc a couple of times before it was read and playable. I was wondering will it ( the disc ) preform better when finalised or does all non-finalised discs hard to read or is this a one off . Thank you

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you waited for the disk to finish writing before you powered it down, I've not had this problem with any disks so far. If they fail they fail at the writing stage or the disk isn't recognised as soon as it is put in. There should be no problem removing a disk before you finalise it. I've got a hits compilation on the go at the moment and I just keep adding tracks as and when I find one I want to keep.

I've not used Tracdata so I can't comment on those disks. I've decided to continue with Princo Branded disks for the time being, I've yet to get a bad one.

One of the sites does a sample pack, it may be worth you getting that. You'd have to throw away the DVD-RW disk tho'!

DaveP

11. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm going to get me one of those sample packs from www.bigpockets.co.uk.

Think they cost £9.90 plus a £5 p+p

Matthew

12. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DaveP yes everthing was finished and I was able pick any thing that I recorded and play it. It was only when I switched off and then switched back on again that it wouldn't read the disc as I said before I did get it to play again a couple of times last night but since then no joy. The only thing that I noticed when I was recording was that once I finished recording a piece the counter some times did not go the full 100% (94% ) has that something to do with the coaster I now have and if thats the case how do I ensure that I get the 100% everytime I record and don't end up with coasters. Thank you