• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

(Sorry didn't have a clue where to post) convert to MP4 or MP4 (H264)

DoogyDawg

Established Member
Please feel free to move to the correct section as I didn't have a clue.
So after downloading some movies I need to convert them to play on my old samsung tv.
Without going into all the heavy stuff, the in's and out's :D all I want to know is which will give me the best quality conversion.
Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 22.48.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 22.48.34.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 68

mjn

Distinguished Member
Does an old Samsung TV support H264?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I thought we were on 265 now with 266 on it's way for improved compression?

HEVC (H.265) is pretty recent and while it would give better quality at the same file size it won't be supported on TVs before about 2016.

H.264 support was often implemented by 2010 on TVs

AV1 looks likely to be the next big video format, not VVC/H.266.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Encoding to x265, even with a decent PC takes a huge amount of time compared to x264 and unless you know what you're doing you might be unhappy with the results.

If you're just looking for a tiny file at decent quality to watch on a phone or tablet, fine.
If you're trying to convert a Bluray Remux to a smaller size to watch on a 65" TV, you'd probably be better using x264.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
"After downloading some movies" 🤔

hippo99

Distinguished Member
After downloading legal to download movies is more than fine and a good sign we are all in the year 2020 ;)
Legal? Looks doubtful...

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom