Sorry but have to some more sonos questions

punts

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok well after much debate over the last couple of days i think am ready to go ahead and get myself a sonos system. I would like to start off just having the 2 zones.

1 will be the bedroom and the other will be the living area.

If i can just run through what i am thinking of doing then hopefully people will be able to confirm i have interpretated everything right.

The Zp90 will be in the living room and connected to my wireless router. I dont want to keep my old hi-fi system so will be needing an amp but was wanting to power four speakers in total as this zone is an open plan living and dining room area and would like two in each. With having the four speakers i would like control over them so that i have the option of only playing two or adjusting the volume on one pair or the other. I dont know much about home audio systems and was wondering if this is possible and what kind of amp would best suit my need.

I have tried to understand the specifications of the packages but cant quite work out what all of the numbers mean and what is best suited for each other i.e i dont want to get an amp that is too powerfully or underpowered for my speakers and equally i dont want to get an amp that is not best suited for the ZP90. Can anyone give me a quick indication of what the important figures mean and what i should take note of to ensure that everything works in harmony. The speakers i have been looking at for the living area by the way are the Mission m33i or the Mordaunt-Short Avant 904i. (this is based pretty much on the looks of them and also relying on how many stars they got in what hi-fi - i did say my knowledge was limited)

Anyway that hopefully is the living room sorted out.

For the bedroom i will be looking at a zp120 connected to a set of audio pro mondial M1 speakers which will be mounted each side of my bed at head height. (again this is based purely on looks as they will match my leather bed. :)thumbsup:)

One last thing for the setup. Initially i will be using my Macbook as a server for all of my music but thinking about getting an AVA RS3 or similar in the near future.

Finally a few other niggling questions that i have.

If i installed my system in this way then would it also be easy to add the audio from my TV to go through the speakers and get greater depth of audio whilst watching films or playing games.

How easy would it be to add other spreakes to this setup in either room i.e adding a sub.

Would i be best of scraping the idea of having a zp90 in the main living room with an amp and just split the area into two by having two zp120's The reason behind me not really wanting to do this in the first place is firstly the additional cost and secondly the fact that for 80% of the time the two zones would be playing the same music anyway and at the same volume level. Would just be a nice to have though.

Im very sorry for asking this whole load of questions :boring: but your help would be much appreciated and reccomendations listened to carefully.

The Zp90 will be in the living room and connected to my wireless router. I dont want to keep my old hi-fi system so will be needing an amp but was wanting to power four speakers in total as this zone is an open plan living and dining room area and would like two in each. With having the four speakers i would like control over them so that i have the option of only playing two or adjusting the volume on one pair or the other. I dont know much about home audio systems and was wondering if this is possible and what kind of amp would best suit my need.

You could use a Sonos ZP120 for this, it has an integrated amplifier and will happily support 2 pairs of 8ohm speakers. If you want independent volume controls you can simply run them through impedance matching wall controls or similar.

Alternatively, what I do in my bedroom/en-suite is have 2 different zone players each connected to their own pair of speakers. Then I just link the 2 areas in Sonos and it syncs the audio perfectly.

By not using a separate amplifier, you avoid the need for 2 remote controls.

For the bedroom i will be looking at a zp120 connected to a set of audio pro mondial M1 speakers which will be mounted each side of my bed at head height. (again this is based purely on looks as they will match my leather bed. :)thumbsup:)

I see no issues here.

One last thing for the setup. Initially i will be using my Macbook as a server for all of my music but thinking about getting an AVA RS3 or similar in the near future.

Both of these options will work just fine. You can even use both at the same time, Sonos supports up to 16 different sources at the same time.

If i installed my system in this way then would it also be easy to add the audio from my TV to go through the speakers and get greater depth of audio whilst watching films or playing games.

Yes you can. I feed the line-out connection on my plasma screen to my Sonos line-in and can then play the TV audio out through any room in the house...including the living room. Most of the time, however, I am listening to digital audio on my cinema system directly from blu-ray etc.

How easy would it be to add other spreakes to this setup in either room i.e adding a sub.

The ZP120 players have subwoofer connections, connecting a sub to a 3rd party amp would obviously vary between models.

Would i be best of scraping the idea of having a zp90 in the main living room with an amp and just split the area into two by having two zp120's The reason behind me not really wanting to do this in the first place is firstly the additional cost and secondly the fact that for 80% of the time the two zones would be playing the same music anyway and at the same volume level. Would just be a nice to have though.

I should read this far before I start replying :)

Personally I would start with a single ZP120 and connect 2 pairs of speakers. If at a later date you decide you want to be able to vary the volume in the 2 areas you can look at the impedance matching volume controls or an extra zone player.

Cheers,

Ben

just like to say thanks for that, obviously taken yo some time to answer my questions and it is much appreciated. I went into my local hi-fi shop and had a look at the little beasties and was very impressed with them. time to get spending some money i think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom