1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry...Another which screen.Plasma,CRT

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jed, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi there.

I am thinking about a new screen.
    At the minute i have a Sony 28" widescreen but have been thinking about a 32" plasma.Mailny the Hitachi 32" plasma.Has great reveiws everywhere.
    Thing is the cheapest i can get it is £2079 + Del.
    Should i go down this route or go for a much much cheaper 32"CRT.Under £700.
    Where we have a TV situated it is about 7' away from our seating.
    Is 32" okay at this distance.
    I could hoy it on the wall to be about 8'7" away.
    I take it a 42" plasma is out of the question.

All help appriciated.

Jed

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Go for it mate. Get it up on the wall and i swear you'll love it.

I have the 32" on the wall and sit 9 feet away and it is imho perfect distance.

Oh and you are getting it £500 cheaper than i did to boot.

Adrenochrome.

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    CRT is still superior than plasma, so if you don't mind the bulkiness - go for the CRT!

Currys are doing a 36 inch Tosh for only £999, so there are bargains out there at the moment!

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Panasonic 42" and the front of the sofa is 6'6" away from the wall it is hung on (so viewing distance is about 8'8") with absolutely no problems - this was one thing I was worried about before I got it but it's fine. Sounds like the same sort of distance you are talking about.

Before the plasma I had a 32" Sony Wega but just found it took up so much room - now I have a plasma hung on the wall and equipment in the corner of the room I have so much more room it's like having a different room altogether - it's great.

I don't think you will ever regret buying a plasma but if you are happy with the bulk of a CRT or have stuff in the room so that wall-hanging a plasma will not gain you much room then you may be better off going for the CRT.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    CRT is NOT superior to Plasma.

All technologies have drawbacks ad they differ. That's all.

So.....

If you want a TV that weighs 80 kg, and (may well have) poor geometry, poor convergence and/or bouncing effects with brightness, blooming effects on peak white - but is otherwise pretty good, and cheap - go CRT.

If you want a lighter TV that has perfect geometry, convergence and stability, but may have somewhat less contrast, and may (if you get to close to it) exhibit dithering effects on dark colours - go Plasma. But watch out for bad pixels.

To say one is better than the other is misleading.

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I think the average person in the street notices plasma's problems with coping with movement (both fast and slow) a lot more than CRT's problems which you mentioned above.

I still say that quality wise: CRT is best, plasma second and LCD last.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ........in your opinion. Clearly, the shortcomings of CRT bother you less than those of other technologies.

I differ.

Ahhh........ that would explain why it is that even Dixon$ (first with new technology - not), Comet, my local village electrical store, and practically every other place where you can buy TVs has got an ever-increasing range of these (overpriced and inferior, are they?) items on display ...... so that people can all look at them and conclude that TheBoingoBandit was right all along.

I suspect there are more commercial motives.

Perhaps it is that either

a) the average person in the street doesn't really care but wants something they can wall mount

b) perhaps - like those who participate in the threads in here about 'dirty patches', colour staining, sloping pictures, etc etc - many people DO care enough to know that CRT isnb't actually best.

Who knows......

One thing is for sure; if they were substantially 'worse' overall, they'd never have caught on. So that simply CANNOT be the case.