1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry, another "what plasma?" thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by darrens, Mar 2, 2005.

1. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for starting another thread but having scoured the others I can't quite find what I'm looking for.

After years of holding off I've finally decided that it is time to jump in the plasma waters. I spend a lot of time watching TV so it seems to make sense to have a great screen and my 33" 4:3 (sic) CRT TV finally has to make way.

I've already invested in a surround system so all I'm looking for is a great picture. I tend to mainly watch on Sky+ (football, films, dramas etc) and a few DVDs.

I'm aware that my source is a bit crap and that limits the picture quality but I don't think I'll be changing my viewing habits so it's important that the panel I get works well with Sky+.

I'd like the panel to last for quite a few years so I'd also like something that can take advantage of HD when Sky upgrades its service.

I'd ideally like a 50" - I'm going to be sitting about 12 feet away from the panel.

Now, from what I've read it sounds like the Panasonic 7 series is going to the one that gets recommended a lot (a forum favourite). But I have to say that I'm as confused as hell about the 7 series in terms of what panel does what and the Panasonic site has really just added to my confusion. All those model numbers just don't mean anything to me.

I am also wondering about the Hitachi PMA550E. It's a bit older now so maybe it has been surpassed but I can't find much out it in terms of recent opinion.

I think the Pioneer's are going to be out because they seem to work best with high quality sources (rather than my Sky+) but if I'm wrong then please correct me.

I've read nothing on these forums about the Philips panels - is that because they are no good or because nobody uses them?

And lastly, what about this new Fujitsu that is coming out. The same glass as the Panasonic 7 but with better electronics?

Oh, I'm so confused. Help.

2. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, yeah....thanks guys :rolleyes:

3. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Your welcome

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you can afford it, get a 50" Fujitsu 40-series. Available within the next two weeks. Stunning picture quality. An HDCP card for the Pio 50MXE is only round the corner so thats another option. The Panasonic PHD7 is not compatible with 50hz signals so avoid.

5. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

So, basically the panny 7 series won't work with Sky HD?

And the Fujitsu 40-series is the Panny glass with better electronics?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Again more misinformation (only incompatibility is via Digital connections at 720p and 1080i 576p is fine at 50Hz over digital also fine via component etc...........) apart from the Fujitsu the PHW7 (50") is the best picture (uses Panny Glass) and you can probably add a lumagenDVi or IScan HD+ to the Panny and still have change from the Fujitsu.........so dont discount it if you have £4k+ to spend (infact dont discount the panny 42"HD and 50" until you have seeen them!)
    PS everything you asked has been answered before

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or wait 6 months for the SKY HD-ready Pannies...

8. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm waiting for the Panny Viera 42" which is HD ready. os there any websites with detailson this? price / timescale etc?