Sorry, another "How to connect Freeview and PJ?" thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mg23, Mar 26, 2006.

1. mg23

mg23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

At the moment I'm using the yellow composite video cable to connect my very basic Freeview box (Logik LDR1) to my projector (Benq MP610). Obviously this leaves a lot to be desired in terms of quality.

From my Logik Freeview box manual:

The relevant (I think) info from the Benq manual has been tacked onto the bottom of this post.

To connect these two, it looks to me like I need some kind of RGB SCART to Component converter, with a component to 15-pin D-sub cable connecting between it and the projector. Is this true, having looked at the specs? If so, will this QED-QVC and this cable do the trick?

QED QVC Scart to Component Converter
    VGA RCA cable

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Mark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mg23

mg23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *bump*

Anyone? :lease:

Not one response all day - I'll post this in the Freeview and Sky boxes forum as well then.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Am I imagining things, or isn't CVBS another term for S-video?

This SCART->Component convertor may be what you need, I have no experience of this sort of connection problem so can't be sure.

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    CVBS is compos(h)ite video...

You *might* find that a Syncblaster from Keene Electronics will work from the RGB scart socket on the freeview box direct to the d-sub input. You'll need to check with Keene.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, okay .. I said I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

6. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  7. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It might be worth mentioning that if your budget will stretch further then the products of Dr John Sim are highly regarded on this forum.

http://www.js-technology.com/

8. mg23

mg23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. I went out and bought the Syncblaster cable from Keene that a couple of guys recommended. Unfortunately it didn't work. No worries, Maplins will definitely do me a refund. Anyway the video was very scrambled and I'm struggling to understand why.

After looking at the J.S. Technology website (thanks for the link Lester) and checking out a similar product to the Syncblaster (RGB to Plasma VGA Converter), I found this bit of info:

Now when I look at the specs for my projector - see the tables at the bottom of my first post - it says that my line frequency starts at about 31-48kHz horizontal line frequency (for PC input), and about 15kHz for the Component/YPbPr input (both of which use the same D-sub input). Is the reason the picture from the Syncmaster something to do with this timing?

Maybe the Syncmaster, like the J.S. Technology RGB to Plasma VGA Converter, requires 15kHz horizontal line frequency, and since the projector has detected it as a "PC input" rather than a "Component/YPbPr input" it can provide only 31-48kHz horizontal line frequency. Would that make sense as to why this cable, and probably the J.S. Technology one too, wouldn't work?

If I'm wrong please let me know because I'm struggling to understand all these different cables and connections. It looks like I would need to get an RGB to Component converter like the QED QVC, and then some component to D-sub cables?

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It is almost certainly the horizontal line frequency that is causing the Syncblaster not to work (and which will also cause the JS Tech RGB to VGA converter also to not work). The JS Tech RGB to YUV converter should do the business.

10. mg23

mg23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers, I feel like I'm just starting to get my head round all this :)

When I took the Syncmaster cable back to Maplins I noticed they did an RGB Scart to Y-U-V converter for £79.99, which looks similar to the J.S. RGB to Y-U-V converter at £145. There's also the QED QVC I linked to in my first post, which is £80. Bearing in mind I'm quite a novice with all this AV business, is it really worth paying almost double the price for the J.S. Technology box?

I've also been having trouble tracking down a relevant cable to use though. It would need to be component male (from the Scart to YUV converter) to 15-pin D-sub male (input to the projector). I've found similar ones on eBay but they seem to be VGA to component i.e. the wrong way round. I'll post a question on the Cables & Interconnects foums about it.

Again, thanks to everyone for responding :thumbsup:

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
  12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the QED QCV works very nicely for me, but i'm only going from RGB Scart output on a Sky+ box to the QCV, then to my surround amp, then to my projectors component inputs....not its VGA input, so i dunno about the VGA side of it sorry....

but the QCV works very nicely in my setup, lovely picture, good colours etc :)