Sorry another foxsat HDR question - recording start?

Shady Deal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry people another question! The recording start and end times are set to auto so they should be triggered by programme start signal? I record a lot but often when playing back it may miss the start by seconds or even a couple of mins. This also happens when you set it just to watch it can miss the start?
Again does everyone get this? I'm still very pleased with the box and the picture is better than sky box!, but sky always started on time.

Don't want to set it like a video eh 5 mins before etc, just want to check others get the same thing? Does it use a different switching signal than sky?

Thanks for your time!
Mark

My Humax is only 1 week old, so far I've recorded from BBC and ITV and it has not missed start or end of any programs.

It may be to do with the timing signal from the station rather than the Foxsat, so I'd state which channels you have problems with.

It varies with channel. 5 don't appear to use AR at all. The Beeb generally get it correct.

Thanks for your time guys it varies across the channels but so far BBC and movies for men seem ok. I love this box and I know longer have to pay sky! Both start and end are set to auto. Missed the start of a itv hd programme this afternoon.

They use a different signal to sky? More like when pdc was around?

Have been a sky user for many years so this is all new to me! But as long as it can happen and my box is being normal then ok?

Thanks
Mark

I've had my Foxsat for just 10 days.

In that period I've lost the end of two ITV3 recordings that started around 3-5 min later than scheduled (got unwanted ads before programmes started).

One was "Lewis" last night, missed the final bit of the denoument, so annoying when you've sat through the whole detective programme ! Will be wary next time ...

Does it use a switching system or signal at all? It might do it another way.

Yes it uses codes hidden in the data. If you watch the currrent prog info recording starts when the broadcaster changes the now prog info and then stops when the recording prog info changes to the next programme.

Some broadcasters look as if they just let these follow the scheduled times, others do it right. The foxsat wakes up 15 minutes before a scheduled accurate record time and awaits the change in running status.

So if I changed it for the samsung I would have the same problem?

I would guess so. But you may have a lot more to worry about. The Samsung currently has a bug that temporarily loses your list of recordings. It also has no manual recording options. At least with the Foxsat you can set a manual recording for the troublesome content. You should really post some examples, together with all the other set recordings around the same time, it's all a bit vague at the moment.

I recorded dickinsons real deal on itv1 hd and it missed the start by a couple of minutes haven't had the chance to check the end yet ? Hmmm Samsung may not be what I want then! Picture on humax is awesome! You can set a manual recording then? Thought I read the manual!
Thanks

I recorded dickinsons real deal on itv1 hd and it missed the start by a couple of minutes haven't had the chance to check the end yet ? Hmmm Samsung may not be what I want then! Picture on humax is awesome! You can set a manual recording then? Thought I read the manual!
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Did you have other recordings on different channels set to finish at the same time as the ITV1-HD was due to start ?

For manual you have two options, both with different outcomes.

You can edit an existing recording to turn it into a manual one by editing the times and setting a repeat pattern (Daily Weekly etc). This will record at the times you say but won't do series other than the repeat pattern so you have to copy these into your own series folders if you want to sort them that way.

You can apply auto padding, this ignores the AR codes and simply adjusts the scheduled times by the padding applied. You retain series recording but the setting is universal and applies to all series recording. One other snag clashes arising from auto padding are only identified as they happen.

Thanks again! Nothing else recording around that time guess it is something I shall have to live with as the rest of the box is so damn good!

What happens if you pad the end of a programme by say 5 min causing it to clash with another scheduled recording ?

Which takes priority ? Or does the reservation list warn you of a clash due to the adjusted time ? Guess I need to do some experimentation ...

Over the weekend I also lost the first minute or so of CSI on CH5 which is more unusual, but had not had any issues with BBC channels.

What happens if you pad the end of a programme by say 5 min causing it to clash with another scheduled recording ?

Which takes priority ? Or does the reservation list warn you of a clash due to the adjusted time ? Guess I need to do some experimentation ...

Over the weekend I also lost the first minute or so of CSI on CH5 which is more unusual, but had not had any issues with BBC channels.

The first recording takes precedence, the box always finishes the first before starting the second. If you are watching you get a message that allows you to reverse this behaviour. Using AR again the first recording completes before the second starts. AS ITV signal the end in the ads after programme content completes this can result in a small loss of the beginning of the follow on recording. Channel 5 don't seem to do AR, if the transmission varies from schedule you get the situation you describe.

Second day it missed just the start of dickinsons real deal on itv1hd. Not missed a lot just annoying........

Second day it missed just the start of dickinsons real deal on itv1hd. Not missed a lot just annoying........

Now is your chance to try the following.

Change tommorows to a manual recording by editing the start time to say 5 minutes early and change the repeat to Every Weekday.

Absolutely fine padding the start by a couple of mins! Every other channel seems not to bad but itv is dreadful. You can watch the tv and the programme starts before the channel bar changes. Do itv not use a ar signal and it just relies on epg?
Thanks

Absolutely fine padding the start by a couple of mins! Every other channel seems not to bad but itv is dreadful. You can watch the tv and the programme starts before the channel bar changes. Do itv not use a ar signal and it just relies on epg?
Thanks

Thanks

I only ever record ITV1-HD (Granada in my case), recording pretty well always starts as the initial opening credits starts. If you display the schedule list you can watch the status change as it happens.

I've not notice problems with London ITV HD programmes - but we don't record daytime shows very often.

Channel 4-owned services are the ones we notice gets it wrong more often than the others (we record) ... frequently start early (so you have to skip the ads) and then cuts off the very end... grrr! I don't mind missing the beginning too much (quite often it's a summary of the previous episode) but losing the end can be unforgivable (whodunnit then????).

iPlayer or ITV Player can help for those channels when they make a mistake? ;-)

Thanks guys. I was initially worried the box was faulty as sky never got it wrong. But am so pleased with the HDR overall!!
Thanks

Thanks guys. I was initially worried the box was faulty as sky never got it wrong. But am so pleased with the HDR overall!!
Thanks

If you mean another recording on the same channel, the HDR won't let you do that, since it won't make two recordings simultaneously from the same channel. If you mean two different channels, then it's like any other situation where you schedule two overlapping recordings. Manual padding just becomes part of the scheduled recording time.

In principle there's no problem with overlapping recordings, since the HDR has dual recording. But when the time comes to begin the second of the overlapping recordings, a problem arises if you are watching a third channel and the three channels involved are on three different transponders. In that case the HDR can't access all three channels at the same time, so it offers you the option of cancelling the second recording, so you can keep watching what you're watching. If you don't cancel a recording it will switch the channel on view to one of the channels you're recording, and the two recordings will proceed as scheduled. (This will happen automatically if you do nothing or the HDR is unattended.)

I use the auto-padding option, which automatically extends all recordings by a fixed amount. This is rather different from manual padding, since the scheduled recording times are not changed, and the HDR just extends the recording when it takes place. With auto-padding you could accidentally schedule three recordings which will overlap once padding is added, e.g. you could schedule recording of programmes at times 2000-2200, 2000-2100 and 2100-2200 on three different channels. In this situation you want to record three programmes simultaneously around 2100, to include padding. Obviously the HDR can't do that, and it often makes bad choices about what to record. It may, for example, truncate the 2000-2200 programme half way through, so that it can add padding to both the other programmes! Be wary of this if you use auto-padding. I believe the same sort of thing can happen with AR, but it's much less likely.

Last edited:
Thanks, do you mean you always put padding on instead of auto in the recording menu rather than pad out each one via shedule and do one at a time?

Auto Padding

Affects every recording made except those made by a manual entry.

Turns off AR but retains series recording. A late change in the schedule won't be accomodated.

Clashes arising from auto padding only identified in real time not when the clash is created.

Manual Editing a Series/Accurate recording or entering a recording schedule from scratch

Other Series/AR recordings are unaffected
No AR or Series Recording. Recordings don't go into a series folder. (You can set a repeat pattern)
Clashes are identified as they are created.

Personally I don't use Auto Padding just set manual repeating ones for the few that always misbehave.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom