• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sooo, Onkyo's break quite often then...?

gromero

Judging by how many people report clicking or overheating problems on here, quite a few posts saying they have had to send their amp's to Genserve for repair.

Something to consider when buying a new amp perhaps?

namuk

Distinguished Member
Never had a problem my self including frends (also 875 and 605) :thumbsup: overheating Mainley down to placed in tight enclosers , the high end amps allways run hot , but the old AX10i (pioneer) did run hotter and some arcams.. the clicking is when you switch the amps on (2 clicks) or switiching over to differant players.. normal this:smashin:

I do no what you mean reading the forums :eek:

Last edited:

Sephiroth0000

Never had any problems with my one (refer below) *touches wood* but then its only me who really uses the surround sound. My kids do though but it only gets like 5 to 6 hours use a day.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Never had any problems with my one (refer below) *touches wood* but then its only me who really uses the surround sound. My kids do though but it only gets like 5 to 6 hours use a day.

Ditto!! :thumbsup:

Sephiroth0000

So how much space does everyone have then with their amps? Whats the ideal amount of space needed for ventilation and what not?

wiz

Distinguished Member
So how much space does everyone have then with their amps? Whats the ideal amount of space needed for ventilation and what not?

Easy! Ideal is completely open and min-, well mine has a 40 mil gap and open at the back

thenicklouse

not many people would post to say that their amp is fine now would they.

But yes mine runs fine and has done so for the last year.

as has all my electrical/electronic stuff.

wiz

Distinguished Member

what he says! :D :D

gromero

Good to hear some positive endorsements for the Onkyo's.

Does anyone really know how good the components are that are used in Onkyo's compare to those used in Yamaha's/Denon/Pioneer for example?

Yamaha and Pioneer always make a point about using the best components for quality and reliability.

gromero

fair point, but i don't see that many posts with faults with other av amps. There also appears to be more second hand onkyo's for sale in the classifieds.

Just wondering why that's all, seriously considering getting the 606 this weekend.

thenicklouse

fair point, but i don't see that many posts with faults with other av amps. There also appears to be more second hand onkyo's for sale in the classifieds.

Just wondering why that's all, seriously considering getting the 606 this weekend.

Oh you do here of problems with other amps.

keep looking.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member

Probably because Onkyo sold more av recievers than any of its competitors in the past year or 2. Theres a link somewhere.

Graham N

Touch wood, My 905 has been fine but my Denon AVC A11SR had to go back for repair after a few months when it packed up. I also had disc reading problems with a Denon DVD player. I would still buy Denon though and even considered a 4308 before I got a god deal on the 905

As others have said people only usually post when they have a problem and not when they haven't.

Graham

namuk

Distinguished Member
Good to hear some positive endorsements for the Onkyo's.

Does anyone really know how good the components are that are used in Onkyo's compare to those used in Yamaha's/Denon/Pioneer for example?

Yamaha and Pioneer always make a point about using the best components for quality and reliability.

Well my old pionner amp sound stage/card went down 2 times first just out off warranty 1 day:eek: (had this warranty repaired) and second time 9 months later i complained to pioneer and letter;) and they repaired again for free.. never went again after that :devil:

as above says form 07 onwards Onkyo sold massive amounts thats why you here mostly allot of horror storys about the 875,605,905 i did read all these also, but it did not put me off getting the 875..

Last edited:

Digitalize

Banned
Didnt put me off the 576, its a low end amp, but still gets fairly hot, but it seems to be built like a tank.

S

SoOPersOniC

It seems to me that the Onkyo's will pretty much either go pop right from the start or be absolutely fine. There was an issue with the first firmware versions, but now all sorted.

Ive had my Onkyo 875 since June 08 and ive not had a problem with it.

If it does develop a fault then ive got the 3 year Onkyo Warranty. If it lasts much beyond 3 years then ill be looking at possible upgrades anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom