1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soon to be HD5 user!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dingburp, Jul 26, 2005.

1. dingburp

dingburp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    greetings y'all!

i stumbled across this oh so very helpful forum soon after i ordered my Sony Silver HD5. I'm quite excited.

First off, let me just say I do like the iPods out there, but I've taken Apples ad campaign to heart and decided to 'think different.' :)

I do have a couple questions before I dive into the HD5...

for you experienced HD5 users, would you recommend upgrading the firmware right out of the box to 1.2? For those of you who haven't seen this website, here is the link again:
    http://syndetics.net/sony-hacks/index.html

Also, on that same website it appears that the author has successfully used the 'MP3 File Manager'. Has anyone used this? I'm expecting to fully load the HD5 with all my songs; once that's done, I don't expect to update every day, or week, for that matter.

Also, one more thing....how difficult is it to remove the aluminum cover? I'm thinking of applying gold anodized fade onto it. You know, make it pimpy.

Thanks, and i'll post pics of me disassembling it soon...

DingBurp.

2. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice. Go for it! No other player can beat the NW-HD5 right now.
    If you want it in silver maybe you should consider the NW-HD5H (30gb version), because of the cracking buttons issue...
    Looking forward for "Pimp my Playa".

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Yes I would recommend the firmware upgrade having done it myself.

I would also recommend getting an NW-HD5H (to avoid button cracking) which is at an amazingly low price on Dixons on-line when you consider the RRP at launch was £229.99.

_______

Edit - Link removed - was a pricing error at Dixons meaning NW-HD5H was £189.99 delivered. Unfortunately error now corrected and price increased.

4. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think dixons have made a mistake - that isnt the 30gb model. I wonder if I buy it then complain they'll send me a new 30 gb model for the same price

5. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just phoned dixons. They say that is the 30gb model. Wow -thats soo cheap.
    £10 for delivery though.

goes off to place order

6. dingburp

dingburp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone...i'll promptly upgrade when it arrives; the button cracking issue sure is unsettling...

7. biggreengiant

biggreengiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I found this forum while searching for info on the HD5H model...in fact, I think I googled "hd5h buy cheap" and came across all you guys saying it's amazing! Well I've read almost everything you've written about it, it sounds perfect for me...I had a 3rd Gen 40Gb Ipod but (SURPRISE) the battery was so temperamental I had to get rid of it! Not to mention the constant freezing/skipping.

One thing that's stopping me buying it just yet though - Only a week or so ago you guys said this could be bought for £180ish from Dixons

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...u=503532&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

As you can see this is now £209.99, so has it really gone up in price in this time? I know one of you said it could poss be a mistake...

Cheers for your help guys, you're ace

(ps - and before someone mentions it, yep, this is my first post!)

8. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was one of the lucky guys to get it for £179. I noticed that the price went up to £209 the next day, but still said web exclusive offer - £209 is still one of the better prices on the net, my guess is that it was a pricing error (not too far fetched considering it was in the personal cd player section to start with and that they very soon realised their mistake... :)

9. biggreengiant

biggreengiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I feared that was the case - yes, you are a lucky one indeed!
    I'm not sure whether tobuy it now for £209 or wait a while for the price to drop...but who knows that'll take *sigh*