Soon to be a member of the SkyHD family.

Paisleychap69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Phoned to cancel my standard sky subscription and when asked for a reason i said it was because i was going to buy a HD freeview box for 58 quid.I was offered HD box and free install for 49 quid:smashin: also going to fit my old box in my room although i will have to pay extra 10quid for multiroom.
result:devil:

Last edited:
Phoned to cancel my standard sky subscription and when asked for a reason i said it was because i was going to buy a HD freeview box for 58 quid.I was offered HD box and free install for 49 quid:smashin: also going to fit my old box in my room although i will have to pay extra 10quid for multiroom.
result:devil:

Great deal, well done! Amazing what a bit of negotiating can do. Welcome to the World of HD :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend..........one little question though....is there much cabling required when getting multiroom fitted?
Also are the HD channels on 24 hours a day or at set times.
thats 2 questions..ooops
:devil:

You wouldn't have got much HD on a FreeVIEW receiver!:D
Mostly 24 hours a day but continuously repeating things.

You'll need 2 feeds from your dish to your hd box, and 1 or 2 feeds to your second box depending if its sky+ or not. You also need a phone extension to both box's.

As for the channels some start at 7pm like bbc and fx, most however are always on although dont always show HD content.

Thanks my friend..........one little question though....is there much cabling required when getting multiroom fitted?
Also are the HD channels on 24 hours a day or at set times.
thats 2 questions..ooops
:devil:

Extra cabling as Jenic explained, and you have to leave the phone sockets connected at all times as part of the multiroom contract. The phone socket here was in the other room and it was fine but the small print states it has to be the same room I think, depends on the installer I guess.

A few of the HD channels are on 24 hrs, Channel 4HD, Sky Sports, Sky One, but they don't broadcast genuine HD content 24hrs a day. The six new HD movie channels Sky are launching this month will make for much more HD content, some of it through the night.

Last edited:
Extra cabling as Jenic explained, and you have to leave the phone sockets connected at all times as part of the multiroom contract. The phone socket here was in the other room and it was fine but the small print states it has to be the same room I think, depends on the installer I guess.

A few of the HD channels are on 24 hrs, Channel 4HD, Sky Sports, Sky One, but they don't broadcast genuine HD content 24hrs a day. The six new HD movie channels Sky are launching this month will make for much more HD content, some of it through the night.
Only got one phone socket so i may be in trouble with the multiroom.:thumbsdow
Although being honest my main priority is HD in living room.
Will the engineer supply all cabling and other stuff:rotfl:as if im being honest the woman i spoke to didnt mention much about the installation process

Engineer should run a telephone extension for your second box and both box's must be plugged in all the time or they may start billing you for 2 separate subscriptions.

Engineer will supply all the cabling. We only had one available socket here and the engineer fitted a doubler to it so it worked out okay. Hopefully he can do a similar thing with yours.

Installer (not engineer) will supply all necessary cabling, etc. to get you sorted. Would be silly if he did not as Sky would lose your custom, and potentially a shed load of your hard earned cash.

Last edited:
Engineer will supply all the cabling. We only had one available socket here and the engineer fitted a doubler to it so it worked out okay. Hopefully he can do a similar thing with yours.

He was not actually doing you a favour. The installer won't get paid unless he leaves you with a working install. It is in his/her interets to get you sorted. He/she will generally leave you a card with a contact number. Cos if the install goes pear shaped within the first 30 days he/she won't get paid for the installation. Really need to understand that these people are just doing a job, under a lot of pressure, and don't give much of a toss about leaving the customer with a good feeling.

He was not actually doing you a favour. The installer won't get paid unless he leaves you with a working install. It is in his/her interets to get you sorted. He/she will generally leave you a card with a contact number. Cos if the install goes pear shaped within the first 30 days he/she won't get paid for the installation. Really need to understand that these people are just doing a job, under a lot of pressure, and don't give much of a toss about leaving the customer with a good feeling.

I never said he was doing me a favour, I was simply explaining to the OP that just because he only has one phone socket does not mean multiroom can't be installed.

Really need to understand that these people are just doing a job, under a lot of pressure, and don't give much of a toss about leaving the customer with a good feeling.

What a jaundiced view of the world you have but you really shouldn't assume that everyone else adopts what I guess are your work values as that is not the case and the vast majority of installers do a good job and ensure that the customer is happy before leaving

What a jaundiced view of the world you have but you really shouldn't assume that everyone else adopts what I guess are your work values as that is not the case and the vast majority of installers do a good job and ensure that the customer is happy before leaving

Hmm from our experiances 2 out of 5 installations for various reincarnations have been a bit shoddy.
Fridays HD installation has the grommet 2cm from the wall. Luckily it is hidden.

Downstairs HD installation there were no grommets just a couple of holes bigger than the cable - Nothing a bit of pollyfilla didn't cure.

I put it down to type of house and location - I bet they wouldn't leave a house worth £250k + in the same condition.

Sod off you cheeky beggar. I am giving my opinion of my personal experiences of Sky installers over the past several years. I have been with Sky since day one and have had very many experiences of these guys. How dare you make any comment about my work values. You do not know me or anything about me. It is because of my high values that I do not tolerate shoddy workmanship. My comments are based on my experiences. This is a forum about Sky. As a moderator I would expect better of you. Surely I should be free to express my opinions on this subject. You frankly are out of order with your comments.

You do not know me or anything about me.

Yes I do. I know that you make huge and unwarranted generalisations.

As a moderator I would expect better of you. Surely I should be free to express my opinions on this subject. You frankly are out of order with your comments.

Of course you are free to express your opinions just as I am and whilst you are free to claim that I am "out of order" with my comment I believe that your comment implying that installers in general "don't give much of a toss about leaving the customer with a good feeling" was equally out of order.

Just to say with my recent install, that it's a work of art :) Installer was very good, quick, clean bla, bla.

They are all contracted out, so guess it's random luck.

Just booked upgrade from sky+. :thumbsup: Instal end of month.

I know I am going to be under a new 12 month contract, but can I downgrade my subscription during the twelve month period, as long as I keep at least 1 mix + HD mix (ie basic £27 month) ?

Thanks

Welcome to planet HD!! :smashin:

I have 2 HD boxes myself... I know greedy me... lol

but can I downgrade my subscription during the twelve month period, as long as I keep at least 1 mix + HD mix (ie basic £27 month) ?

Thanks

From what i undesrstand yes.

Yes I do. I know that you make huge and unwarranted generalisations.

Substantiate, ie. please qualify.

Of course you are free to express your opinions just as I am and whilst you are free to claim that I am "out of order" with my comment I believe that your comment implying that installers in general "don't give much of a toss about leaving the customer with a good feeling" was equally out of order.

My experience. You seem to be an apologist for shoddy installations.

Would be good to have some sort of poll about customer satisfaction of the 'Sky installation experience'. Might make me see things differently, and I would apologise if I have offended the large bulk of installers. Seems that I may have offended some installers by suggesting they are not 'Engineers'. However, the reallity is, they are not Engineers. It does not require a professionally qualified Engineer to carry out an installation.

colin: You're on a new 12 month contract only for HD; anything else you have continues under the old sub so if and when that's out of its 12 months you can do anything you like with it - including cancelling it all which would leave you paying £10 for HD and another £10 if you still wanted to use Sky+

wellfan: Obviously these people - in my case a very good one - are Installers not Engineers, but where did the idea of calling them engineers come from in the first place?

wellfan: Obviously these people - in my case a very good one - are Installers not Engineers, but where did the idea of calling them engineers come from in the first place?

OP was the first one to say it, i carried it on :D however my installer was a telecoms engineer between jobs.

Doh! I can't believe I read about the £49 deal people are getting a few days after I handed over my £105 - should be £90 but for some reason my account can't upgrade online so I need to chase that back... :rolleyes:

Anyway, seems this has become the thread for upcoming HD owners with questions about installers so here goes :D My install is booked for a week on Saturday and I'm swapping out my Sky+ box for the Sky+HD box and replacing my basic Sky receiver with the "old" Sky+ box. When we bought this house 18 months ago, the previous owners had Sky in the opposite corner of the lounge which the cables didn't reach to so the cables have been extended just after they enter the house, plus it looks like their install was an upgrade to Sky+ as the 2 cables come in through different holes, one having a grommet and the other doesn't! 3 questions folks - and it seems opinions on installers are mixed so not sure what to expect in reply!

1. As I'm going to have to get another cable put into the second room to handle Sky+ and its twin tuner, would I be within my rights to ask the installer to run new full length cables from the dish to the TV in the lounge too? There are some channels that break up from time to time and I'm convinced it's the extension connectors as nobody I know round about us suffers on the same channels when we do. I can't name too many examples right now but C4+1 and some of the kids channels spring to mind.

2. If the installer does that - and for £30 to swap a box over this time and £50 last time to plug the boxes into the existing cable setup and make the activation call to Sky I'd like to think they would :D - do you think I could ask him to pop a network cable I have through the hole in the wall and tack it alongside the co-ax feeds back to the dish and to the other room? My wireless signal is dire at the back of the house where the conservatory is so I was thinking of running a network cable to the convervatory and installing a wireless access point there. I don't need the installer to actually configure the network or crimp on the RJ45 connectors or anything, it's literally just a case of getting the cable round the outside of the house.

3. Are today's installs (sounds like my last install was sometime during the dark ages!) made using 2 discrete cables to each room (requiring 2 cables) or is it 2 cable cores inside a single sheath? Not a huge difference technically but I suppose it's a bit neater with the single sheath approach, especially when it comes to putting holes in walls!

Any opinions? I'm hoping (1) is a given that I can ask for that but given that it's an upgrade install, maybe not. I appreciate any responses these are purely opinions - just looking for advice.

Cheers, Colin

OP was the first one to say it, i carried it on :D however my installer was a telecoms engineer between jobs.
I meant the general tendency to call them engineers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom