1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonyVW11 v new yamaha v new ellie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROGER THE LODGER, Nov 10, 2001.

1. ROGER THE LODGER

ROGER THE LODGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,
    Can anyone lend me around twenty grand so I can do the following.......BUY a greyhawk screen and all three above projectors from where ever possible,so a group test could take place to see how each compares.I know each is a different type of projector, but for me this makes it more interesting!
    Will any magazine do such a test this year or next,or will we have to wait to book tickets for Gordon's event TWO to obtain any answers?
    It is of my opinion,that if the projectors could be re-sold after evaluation a large percentage,if not most of the money could be re-couped. One low mileage, careful lady owner projector,genuine reason for test ........ if you get the idea

I've often dreamed that ,forgive me, projectors were related to cars, so that a motoring journalist could give his/hers first drive impressions weeks if not months before release to the general public, aka say the new Ford Fiesta... :D

ANYBODY GOT THAT MONEY!

Regards.Roger the Lodger

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roger,

I cant lend you money but can give you good advice.
    When you do have the cash (and you wont need 20k), you should be looking at only 2 machines.

If you must have a single lense device, the new Sharp XV-9000 is most definately a hit. My freind brought one over from Hong Kong the night before last and we had it up and running in my dedicated room throwing onto my Stewart Studiotek 130 (perhaps the Greyhawk would have been better for this PJ). I am of the opinion that this DLP is unbeatable at the price (compared to other Single lense machines).

The other machine you should most definatly look at is the Barco Cine 7.
    Having just completed an install using this CRT, I can tell you that I believe this to be the new reference standard for 7" CRT's. I had it running through the clients Denon 2800 component progressive scan (480p) outputs and it looked superb.
    I then swapped the Denon with my Cinematrix Moded 7700 player and ran it at 720p and after taking time to go through geometry and re-converge properly and I was gob smacked.
    What a fantastic image.
    This machine at around 8k is not a bargain its a steal. (for a new CRT).

HCC should really re-evaluate their PJ ratings as nothing they have tested comes even close to the Cine 7.

Eric

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have to agree with Eric on the Cine 7 it is a supurb machine. but like all CRT projectors it needs to be permanently installed and proffesionally set up.

£8k is an achievable box price for the basic machine without the on board Scaller.

Uk list price is £9276 inc vat.

£11,156 inc vat with LiMo Pro which you would need if you're feeding other video sources and want them more than stadard line rate.

The other advantage of LiMo Pro is that it allows tripling of the scan lines which matches the projectors sweetspot better.

The Denon 2800 suffers from the croma bug. However I have seen it recently doing Progressive PAL.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I recently saw the Yamaha DLP at the Practical HI-FI Show at Manchester, and I suffered really bad rainbow effect with this PJ, The Sim2 DLP in a seperate room was no where near as bad with the Rainbow effect.

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,
    As I have not seen Barco's internal scaler I cant comment. I have however seen their internal doubler and would suggest to anybody considering this that a good progressive DVD player such as the Panasonic RP-91 (which is one of the very few that does not have the chroma-bug) would be a better alternative than the PJ's optional internal doubler.

Of course as you say this would only deal with the DVD side of things which is probably what people enjoy most anyway.

DVD being the source with the best native resolution available to us in this country (True HD digital Tapes shortly-perhaps) .
    As an added bonus the Multi Channel sound on dvd is also unique (apart from LD). I set up his Denon 3802 to output DPL2 (which I found worked marginally better than DTS NEO) for everything other than DVD but of course this was still a shadow of what true DTS or DD sounds like.

I also installed a motorised digital satelite system (Humax) for this guy with around a zillion stations most of which would need a translator.
    Sky also turned up and installed a digibox which together with the Humax system I later upscaled using an old Quadscan I have lying around.
    All I can say (and the customer agreed) is that when you upscale what is essentially a rubbish source, you end up with more rubbish.
    In this case the client was happy to watch Sky and the Sat stations in its original form.
    Anyone got an old S&N lying around for me to try with sky
    :rolleyes: Richard are you listening????

Eric

6. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Limo Pro(internal image processor on the Cine7) is a line tripler, not just a doubler. It scales, not just de-interlaces unlike a progressive scan DVD player. I have seen this prejector with the Limo pro turned on and off (thanks to the guys at "the event"). With this projector, I would prefer to use a scaler even with a progressive DVD player. Roland mentioned the Limo Pro hits this projectors sweet spot better. And it looked fantastic. I must confess, I'd like to see it sat beside the new Elle.

Also, while the much of the viewing will be of DVDs, many people such as myself do like to watch cable,sky,videos,sports etc on their projector as well. If it was me, with a cine 7, I would choose to have a scaler (internal or external) rather than the simply use a progressive dvd player... even if it is a skyworth, malata, or the panny you mentioned. Just my preference though.

WSquared

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Now that could be interesting

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    W Squared,
    Actually I was not talking about the optional scaler. I was talking about the LIDO doubler (de-interlacer).

Whether this is now still an option on the Cine 7 (as it was on the old 708) is another matter. Perhaps now they only offer the Limo Pro with the Cine 7 as of course 480p is not enough.

Even so, I still think owners of new Cine 7's should consider other options given the price difference with or without both the Lido (if still an option or the Limo pro)
    In the case of the Limo Pro this runs into thousands of pounds.
    Then of course one would start thinking about the many other good scalers out there.
    Such as the Vigitec, Rock etc.
    Perhaps even the Fara NR which many CRT owners are now using with great results.
    Ok fixed rate, but hey, a brand new CRT is more or less fixed (or stuck to your ceiling) for hopefully many years.
    The Fara 3000 is still the best scaler I've seen (Haven't seen an S&W) and if the image quality of the NR even come close, I'll take one to go thanks.
    On of my friends is testing one over in Hong Kong on his Sony G70 as we speak, if he says all good I'm getting one period. With a street price of 3000-3500 usd over in the states how can I resist.
    My 808s is also here to stay for a little while.

Eric