1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonysung? Lyris a question for you.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by asherpat, Sep 23, 2005.

1. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lyris,

on your blog you imply that Sony lcd is good, while you owned a cheaper Samsung and "one gest what one pasy for".

No bias, just a question, is Sony and Samsung not gonna be very similar now, after all, the lcd panels of Sony are produced in Korea by a JV with Samsung, innit?

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The Samsung TV actually has a much better LCD panel in it than the Sony one I went back to (2004 model - I imagine this years' new ones will be a big improvement). It ghosted a lot less, especially on intense black and white objects, but I still overall much preferred the Sony. In fact last years' Sony LCDs were, I think, using panels made by LG/Philips.

You're right that the new panels are coming from the joint facility. But a lot of what made me personally prefer the older Sony was the processing going on behind the panel, which will still differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

3. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tks Lyris u maybe right that the processing makes the difference, i have no LCD at home, rather a Tosh MT8 DLP FP.

But looking at what is on offer in John Lewis, i simple cant make myself buy any LCD, i cant really describe what is wrong it just is a fact that LCDs make a perfect still picture but when there is motion, unless seating 5 meters back, the edges of the objects look like rags in the wind... sort of.

My question is whether there is a good independent assessment of all these arthefacts in LCDs, plasmas (unwatchable for me due to the Screen Door Effect, even if edges and movement are better than LCDs), etc versus ideal display tech?